Where did you learn how to build on roblox studio?

For the past few months, I have been trying to learn how to build. I need to build a low poly cafe for my upcoming project. I am also trying to open building commissions in the near future.

Some of the solutions I have tried so far is watching low poly tutorials but I can never find the correct tutorial.

Thank you! If you would like to DM me about it, please DM vinnie.#1829

10 Likes

I looked at AerialsAbove’s building tutorial, I watched some building tips and trick videos, and I p r a c t i c e d.

11 Likes

For myself, I’ve paid close attention to other peoples methods of building and details, like windows, stairs, tables, lamps, etc.
I’ve sort of watched YouTube videos, as well as experimenting in studio. You can use Blender as well if you have intentions of higher poly.

3 Likes

I have largely taught myself to build and really practiced a lot with it.

I personally think that tutorials are only useful to understand the basic principles and to get familiar with the tools Roblox offers. I don’t think much of following YT tutorials builds, because (in my opinion) you don’t really improve your skills yourself.

7 Likes

if you need any low poly builds like how they are crooked and stuff like that i would use blender for that because i think its hard to position parts in studio (just me) even when use a scale.

but you should definitely practice

2 Likes

Do you possibly have a link to that video?

5 Likes

Looking at other people’s showcases gave me a lot of inspiration, and I always thought “man, I wanna do something like this !!”

I also sometimes took inspiration from stuff like pictures off of google images, which I find helps. When you make something it’s usually helpful to look at references, either those that were made in the real world or digitally. I think taking inspiration from real world images can help a lot. Most, if not all art styles are based off the real world. Even cartoonier art styles are somewhat based on reality, they can just be exaggerated or simplistic interpretations of the real world.

Otherwise, I learned through practice (like 2-4 years of it). Developing skills takes time so just hang in there.

3 Likes

I just self-taught myself through practice and free model reskins

3 Likes

I think the most important aspects are experimentation and patience. Nobody picked up Studio and made a game overnight.

I started at a very young age not even knowing what Studio was, just spawning free models and playing with them with my brother. I didn’t even know how to anchor, so I just used heavy free models to hold down my baseplates (to the one main anchored baseplate)

It got to a point where I wanted something I couldn’t find, so I tried myself. It sucked, obviously - but imagine this on repeat for years, just trying again and again and encountering new issues I learned to solve along the way.

My advice is to just start making your cafe, maybe you’ll hate it, but you’ll be able to figure out why and try again or improve it. You’ll stumble into problems, maybe you want a portion to be a shape you’ve never tried before but then you can experiment, and if you can’t figure it out that’s what devforums is for.

That’s exactly how I built my low-poly cafe a year ago.

If you’re lost on inspiration, try find models made on other platforms or explore Roblox games that’re in the same style. Once you’ve honed in on something, try copy it. I wouldn’t suggest copying something and using it in a game, but copying it will teach you how to make it and then you can employ the newly learned skills for your official attempt at your own.

That’s it. Just try. Maybe you’ll love or hate it but you’ll come out further than you were when you started.

Best of luck!

8 Likes

I used a mixture of tutorials, references and my own personal experience. I would recommend this as it’s a good mixture of gaining new information on how to make your builds better as well as gaining practice.

I’d also recommend finding decently sized goals and work your way up to more advanced building which takes more time. Learning to build is also learning how to be patient and it gets easier the more you do it since you’ll understand your limits.

In terms of low poly building like you stated, I’d find some reference images online and try to mimic it in roblox. Doesn’t have to be too big, just some assets that you could even potentially use in the future like trees, lamps or benches so you don’t have to keep re-creating the same thing. There’s so many low poly scenes around the internet for you to gain inspiration from. I’d also recommend having a look at Blender as it can be a really useful and easy to use tool for low poly.

Either way though, it’s all up to you and what you want to build. My end point here is just try your best, don’t rush the process and overall have fun while building. Good luck in your future endeavors!

2 Likes

I went on to google, got an image of something (in this case a house) and built it in studio.

It’s not perfect, but I found it really useful having some reference.

You should also find a building style you like enjoying doing.

Hope this helps lol

5 Likes

I am not the biggest fan of building (i just get bored of it). I am more of a scripter but my friend showed me Roblox. So I researched it a bit more and found out you can make your own games!

The first few of my games were trash and full of free models but then I just practiced, since then I have just been getting better. Later I found out about blender and how to use it. I LOVE THE WAY LOW-POLY LOOKS!

I want to make great builds someday in the future.

3 Likes

At first, I couldn’t build at all. My builds were horrible. Know how I learned to build? Strange as this may sound, I became a set designer at Emerald Theatre! Emerald Theatre set designers use F3X tools to build sets. F3X is a tool you can use in roblox studio as well. Emerald Theatre allows people to assign you something to build (just like commissions) and build as a team (just like a group project). Here is some of the stuff I am capable of, after doing Emerald Theatre, and then building on the skills I learned there.

1 Like

I had someone join me in a team create and they tutored me on building, from there I’ve grown a lot. Same guy went onto make Finders Keepers on roblox.

I would suggest joining games that mimic the style you’re shooting for and just seeing what they did, I’ve personally found that incredibly helpful.

If you need any specific help shoot me a message on Dev Forum and I’d be more than happy to help!

3 Likes

I learned how to build by watching some YouTube videos from RoBuilder giving some tips to improve and also checking out a ultimate guide of how to make a modern Sci-Fi building in here, Roblox DevForum.

After seeing them, I did some tests and they looked very awesome.

2 Likes

I consider myself self-taught for the most part, with some help through old friends. I’ve been developing for about 5 years now - since I was 11 years old. I started out with Romanesque Architecture, then I experimented with low-poly styles and finally found my calling last year with industrial and sci-fi high-to-mid poly builds.

Whenever I build, I tend to look at reference images when recreating scenes from real life or whenever I’m out of ideas; otherwise, I let my imagination get the better of me.

1 Like

Building tends to be a very simple concept, however, it is not! Building requires practise and dedication; keeping a clear mind and having a good amount of ideas will give you a head start. I developed building knowledge by considering depth and small details. Personally my advice would be to practise and learn from others as well as yourself, however many people rush into making a huge game when in reality a new builder should focus on creating models for the community to leave feedback on! Consider depth, textures and colours to start with, as an example let’s say you have a pillar that is simply one brick well what could we add to it? More bricks and little details! Heres an example:

That was just a quick example I made but what it’s highlighting is that you should consider other aspects of a build whilst considering performance etc! To any new builders out there I would suggest using real life pictures for inspiration and make sure to learn how to use the studio tools correctly.

Good luck building :slight_smile: !

2 Likes

I started building about three years ago, making pretty mediocre builds at first (flat walls, blinding color pallets) before I took a look at some freemodels and slightly modified them to get better and better. After that, I became confident enough to create my own builds. Here are a few main tips I learned on the way:

• Look at flat walls that lack detail. Add things like pillars, structural support, or textures to that area to break up the blandness.
  • Pick a good color pallet that suits your build (no one likes to see bright neon on solid black)
  • Try not to use blocky shapes all the time - mix it up with some angels and curves.

I outline these tips in full detail + more in my guide, here. While it is geared towards sci-fi builds, all of the tips explained in the guide can be applied to other areas of building and design.

Other resources that helped me learn is looking at videos surrounding design theory and how to execute your build correctly, like this one. This video in particular really helped me step up my building game.

The rest of it was really just experimentation and a long time thinking about what exactly I wanted to do - a good driver was looking at something I made and thinking “That’s not good enough” which really pushed my skills to the limit.

Here’s an example of where I started:

To modifying free models: image
Refining my skills:

And finally, today:

8 Likes

I downloaded studio and I used it. I didn’t follow tutorials, I just used my gut to follow what looked good and I developed more intuitive building processes along the way.

1 Like

Practice is important but what I did is to look at Speedbuilds I recommend.

(He got me into Building)

And to find Low poly tutorials do one of these things, Look at the builder you look up to, What makes it so characteristic to them and what can you do to make it look similar. for Low poly, you probably need to use blender for a lot of your builds

and another thing you can do is seek constant feedback, cause if you do not you might get better but it will take you way longer to improve. but to stand out you can take low poly and make your own spin on it like using mostly Pastel colors or make the low models curvier etc. good luck on your building journey and when you get pretty good Join RAR but don’t talk to aerial. (sorry I did not say enough I do mostly Realistic Builds so not so experienced with Low Poly)

5 Likes