Where do I start when making a game?

So I want to make a game where you are a bidder in an auction, where say you have some amount of coins, and there are say 10 items you can buy, and your goal is to end up with the most amount of money in the value of your bought items + the money you have left over, and the person with the most money wins. The thing is, I don’t know where to start. I don’t know how to script, so should I hire someone? Or should I start building the maps? Also, since I don’t know about the difficulty or time it takes to learn to script, would it be logical to learn to script a little and then try to make the game myself? Thank you for your help, since I am lost with this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

First thing is that you should figure out the position of everyone making the game.

Personally, I don’t know how much it takes to hire a scripter, so you should look at collaboration for the numbers on that. Maybe you should get your feet wet first in scripting by looking at some basic tutorials and determine if getting some help is worth the money and time save for your game.

Once you have job allocation down, you need to determine what is the “core” of your game and start building that. If you were building an obby, you would design one level and try to build up from there. For your example, maybe make a room where players can auction on a single item. Once you have that down, then you can add more items and whatever else you have in mind.

Lastly, make sure you know how you’re going to monetize this game. This can be anything from extra money at the start to just some sparkle effects on people with a specific gamepass. Just remember to hold off on putting anything like that extra money example because you don’t want to kill the fun with pay-to-win micro-transactions.

5 Likes