Which is a better map design for my game?

Currently looking at revamping the map in my game, 2 Player Military Tycoon..

Right now each team has their own island, separate from other team’s islands; there are 12 teams total, bringing server sizes to a max of 24 players. This has caused some issues, since ground vehicles are basically useless despite the cargo ships in the game (which can be buggy, but I plan on switching the vehicles to a new system), and newer players might get bored being in the middle of the ocean on their own until they save up enough cash to buy planes and boats. I want to make ground warfare

So here are some ideas:

White would be the terrain/ring, blue the bases, orange the bridges in Options 1 and 2

Idea One
The map would be ring shaped, with the corners of the ring being separated, and being connected by bridges that players could destroy. These bridges would regenerate every 15 minutes or so, or a player could regenerate them whenever they want for 500 robux. The center of the ring would have oil rigs and islands that players could capture for cash. There would be three bases on each ring segment, and combined with the bridges, players could travel anywhere with ground vehicles. This map is my personal favorite since it appears very uniform and very easy to navigate.

Option 2
I drew this pretty fast, so don’t mind the islands and base layout looking weird. This option is less uniform than Option 1. In it there would be three islands, no connection points between them, with four bases. Each island would have a center point that players could capture, and I might add a feature that whoever owns the island gets a portion of the cash from the teams on said island. Only oil rigs would be present, and they would be scattered off the coasts of the islands.

Option 3
This is an option one of the people inside my developer circle came up with, as a combination of Options 1 and 2 In it there would be five islands, four which would have three teams each, all connected to one center island via bridges that could be destroyed. Probably same format as Option 2 in which each island could be captured, and the islands with teams would yield cash from teams on said islands, with the center one having something central to the game, like a military base or something (haven’t figured that out, need ideas). Once again, oil rigs would be scattered around the coasts of the islands.

Which would be the best design for my game?

2 Likes

Currently, it seems member of my Discord community are in favor of Option 3, so I’m leaning towards that right now. Can anyone give me a professional opinion of theirs?

2 Likes

I think the best thing to do would be a combination of option one and three, with the ring of option one including the central area of option three.

2 Likes

When playing 2PMT, I would 100% agree that land combat was effectively useless and it’s good to see that you’re addressing this. with map design I feel that option 3 is the best however it’s still not perfect:

Pros:

1. Land combat is now viable.
  2. You can get the to the central islands via land which should encourage early-game wars.

Cons:

1. The islands would have to be quite close, and so the map itself wouldn’t be nearly as large which could limit the effectiveness of planes.
  2. The type of vessels wouldd probably have be redone. (now with land there’s little reason for a transport ship)
1 Like

I think the islands would’ve have to be that close. The bridges could be pretty long, and they would also be destroyable, so transport ships would still be needed for accessing different islands in the event that bridges have been destroyed. Plus, you would still need transport ships if you want to get to an island faster, as with land you’d have to cross two bridges vs. just taking a ship diagonally there.

@ijvyce that’s the plan with Option 1, but people still seem to favor Option 3.

1 Like

I prefer Option 2, but that’s just my opinion

Here are the final designs for the map choices I’ve made, in order
option1

Which is best?

I agree with @ijvyce ,you should use Option 3 and connect all the outer islands together like the child of option 3 and option 1

1 Like

I agree with @ijvyce you could do that function

I was thinking this design, without the bridges in the middle:

1 Like

Yes that’s fine for your game map and I certainly forgot to say that your game is super cool, a lot of work and effort

1 Like

Thanks! I’m trying to do another big update to it to add some more life to it, its player count and revenue stream has been steadily declining in lieu of not many (big) updates coming out…

1 Like