Which map style do you prefer?

The two styles of builds below potentially are for my upcoming minigame. My target audience will probably be children on mobile devices like phone and tablet. What’s your opinion on the builds? Keeping in mind part count and how that may cause lag, which style do you prefer, and which style would you choose considering lag and my target audience?

Any advice on building also appreciated for the build you prefer :slight_smile:

Will have approx. 1500 - 2000 parts when finished (edit, updated path)

Approx. 4500 - 5000 parts

Which style lobby do you prefer?
  • Style 1: Low Poly
  • Style 2: Blocky

0 voters

11 Likes

I would’ve picked style 1 if only the grass was the same color as in the bottom one.

2 Likes

I like image 2 better
The first one does not convince me much about the design of the trees, but they are fine

1 Like

Oof haha. I’m probably going to add in some designs on the ground. They’ll be coloured the same as the grass.
(like this)

2 Likes

How could I perhaps improve the trees?

In the first image, I still don’t know, I don’t work with that much Low Poly, but in the second one, maybe turn the blocks of some trees and continue filling, (changing colors from green)

I hope it helps you, (from what I see they are games with simplistic style, so I don’t think you want to put the “Grass” texture on the trees in image 2 :wink:

3 Likes

Style 1 seems almost too low poly. I prefer Style 2, it’s more interesting to look at and has a better use of colors.

1 Like

Ahhhh! I spent a lot of time on the colouring of style 2, then people said it was boring. I’m now officially confused.

1 Like

People have different opinions.

If you want mine, I’d make the grass less yellow and a more green color, like the trees.

1 Like

I like the bottom one more in terms of builds, but I like the top one more with the bright colors.

yeah

1 Like

If you are talking about the low-poly trees I’d suggest making them look less like Dr. Zeus trees lol. But they are pretty good either way :+1:

1 Like

Low poly is cartoony and perfect as is. Blocky reminds me of old Roblox but it needs some refinement to look good. I would go with the toony style

1 Like

Oo… I like the first one better, the second one seems to spaced out and hard to identify things. The first one is nicer nicer look at.

1 Like

I think the lowpoly looks good, but for gameplay, it really becomes low quality looking. As a player, I would rather work with a detail made blocky game (Bloxburg shows a great example, and it beat the Roville (a similar game)’s style heavily). It is just more familiar for players. The lowpoly makes it seem like it comes from cheap simulators. No complaints on the style itself of course, and definitely from an outside developer point of view from other engines, I would choose style 1, but Roblox, definitely style 2.

1 Like

Blocky looks cool only if everyone is using blocks bodypack… That’s why low poly.

1 Like

From the eyes of a programmer, and one who does not get building nor find either artstyle pleasant to the eye, I’d personally go with the Low Poly. That’s purely due to the fact that Roblox is a kids game, and more simplistic and colorful styles appeal to them more.

1 Like

the first one looks like its just somewhere on the map where nothing is going on and the second one looks like a map where something is going to happen on it

1 Like

Something about the 2nd image just pulls me into it. It has a really nostalgic feel and a really good use of colours.

Image 1 can use a lot of tweaking, for example, everything is blocked with trees and that just doesn’t showcase the environment as much as it could, the use of colours is good but only for the shopping stalls, I personally believe the grass and trees could use different colours.

1 Like

Yeah, rip. I haven’t finished the first one yet, however the quick screenshot I took is of the shop area.

Do you think I should use less trees? Is it too cluttered?