Why are my trees doing this?

My trees that use a meshpart with surfaceappearance, with alpha for the leaves, seem to be turning ‘white’ at a distance.

Here are the trees

Here are the trees at distance

Here are the trees close up

Thanks

1 Like

Great trees, but I don’t see any white on them from a distance (maybe I need my eyes checked :laughing: )

Sorry, I probably didn’t zoom enough

Oh, now I see it. So you just have your texture as a surface appearance set on transparency?

Color Map
Metal

Normal
Roughness

Hmm, I’m sorry, but I don’t really know how to fix this. I don’t usually have this problem (It may be something with render distance idk)

Yeah, maybe, I put all my RenderFideltiy on Automatic, maybe its just how Roblox is condensing the image?
Its strange, because it seems to not be consistent between different meshes.

So annoying as it makes the far distance, look like its a winter wonderland.

Yeah, I can understand how annoying it is (maybe like you said changing the render fidelity, or if its a model changing it to a streaming mesh)

I tried Render Fidelity to Precise, and no change, I removed all the ‘Atmosphere’ ‘Bloom’ etc… from Lighting, and used a default Lighting settings, and not much change, other than it actually looks worse.

However, when I removed the SurfaceAppearance from a tree, and simply applied the leaf texture to the mesh part, and set transparency at .02 to remove alpha, it actually has some color, though faint

When doing this same thing to another tree, it retains even more of its color.

So it must be something wrong with surface appearances.

It seems so, I prefer using surface appearance because i don’t like how 0.02 transparency looks (it adds weird shading sometimes) but if it fixes your problem go for it!

.02 transparency is an ugly hack, and looks too terrible up close to be a good trade off.
It does that weird reverse z order thing, where farther layers of texture appear over the closer layers.

I will just live with it :stuck_out_tongue:

Just thought maybe I wasnt the only one having this issue and someone found a way to keep this from happening.

Thanks for your help

1 Like