Why are scripts vanished when they are in ServerScriptService?

I recently noticed for the first time that when I load my game in studio all the scripts (Server and Module) all vanish and I cannot access them from the Explorer unless I find them from their output. I’ve been scripting for a while so the fact I noticed now is a shock ( unless this was a recent change. )

This doesn’t affect me in any way game wise, but I’d love an explanation. Does the game parent these scripts nil or instead store them in a separate area I do not know about? Do lines in separate scripts get affected if they are called a script from ServerScriptService?

This was a random thought I had and I wanted to investigate further however I couldn’t find any answers. Been on my mind for a bit so I’d like to have some closure.

(unless of course this is on my end, then this post would be strange.)

3 Likes

This is because the client cannot see serverscripts or serverscriptservice and studio is replicating on the client. In the test tab change to server and you will see the scripts.

7 Likes

I see. Thank you for responding.

Does this mean that you are unable to call module scripts from LocalScripts? Or am I misreading?

Use ReplicatedStorage to store ModuleScripts for LocalScripts

3 Likes

Yes you are able to call module scripts from local scripts i believe.

I’m guessing you’re following the AlvinBlox Piggy tutorials.

Hope this helps! :+1:

This is because your point-of-view is of the client. The client is unable to access server containers (ServerScriptService, ServerStorage). Switch between modes in order to access the contents of these objects.

Edit 2021:

He replied first :man_shrugging:

4 Likes