Why can we still not transfer ownership of a player-owned game to group-owned?

The lack of this feature is actually losing me and no doubt plenty of other developers hundreds of dollars or more for no reason.

Due to the fact that 14 year old me was not clairvoyant and I did not really see the purpose in uploading all my games to a group “just in case”, most of my important games are uploaded to my account instead, including Parkour (297M+ visits) and Twisted Light (820k+ visits).

In theory I could just re-upload them to the group and redirect traffic there, but the thing I can’t redirect is DATA. I may lose the visit count and the likes/dislikes, I can deal with that, but both of these games have important DataStore data that I CAN NOT transfer in any way. It is impossible without setting up a third-party external database as a proxy.

Now the primary problem with them being not group-owned shows itself when paying staff. I have a group, but because our primary source of Robux (Parkour) is not under a group, every time I need to distribute any Robux to my staff, since the ONLY way to get funds into the group is by changing the price of an item, purchasing it, then changing it back and waiting a few days for the Robux to appear in the group, 30 percent of it disappears into the void for no reason other than my lack of clairvoyance as a child.

There used to be an offer going on a long time ago where an admin was moving games to group-owned, but that offer has long since been closed. And apparently, it’s really simple to do. There is no reason for this to not exist as a permanent feature, and the fact my biggest games are still on my account and cannot be transferred is seriously hindering my growth.

19 Likes

there is already a feature request by the owner of Ripull’s Minigames, so please reply to that topic instead of making a new one

2 Likes

A simple fix to this is accounts being able to add robux to the group’s funds.

3 Likes

Hey,

I have had that same issue with my game (not being as big as yours but still 800k+ visits) and I managed to redirect it to my group with data using a risky but easy quick way.

I’ve just teleported the player to the new game under the group with the Teleport Data being the data transferred. Yes this itself can be exploited but if you create some sort of validation for it like a key then it can be an effective way of doing so.

2 Likes

important DataStore data that I CAN NOT transfer in any way. It is impossible without setting up a third-party external database as a proxy.

Have you considered OpenCloudTools? You’re able to dump a datastore as a .sqlite file then reupload that to another game entirely.

1 Like

I’ve considered doing a data transfer like this to a new place, but it’s just not worth the effort to me. It’s not clean and I still lose all the stats on the games page, which optimally should not happen because Roblox should natively support this kind of ownership transfer in the first place.

3 Likes

Creative solution definitely, unfortunately my game has a lot of disjointed data by my own fault and all the player specific data would not fit into the Teleport Data format.

I was unaware this topic existed, I tried to search for something similar but didn’t see anything. Thanks!

1 Like

Perhaps you can encode the data in base64 string? There’s some open sourced encoders on the devforum

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.