Why can't my custom rig hold tools?

so, i’m trying to rig stuff, for my dumb game Plundertale, and, things aren’t working correctly
rig type for this model is r6. for some reason, with the way it’s rigged presumably, monster kid can’t hold anything. the “right arm” part is his tooth (which is connected to the head and while i’m sure that’s definitely not how its supposed to be it looks good in animation terms)
i did a test, and rigged the tooth with the origin of it as the torso. that, well, didn’t work either, everything just falls into the void and ceases to exist. when picking up a tool on the ground, that doesn’t necessarily happen either. it’s never picked up. the tool hates monster kid.

explanation, in video format:

any help?

7 Likes

If you’re using Tools, the Motor6D that’s connected from the Torso to the Right Arm must be called Right Shoulder.
Is this the case?

5 Likes

i don’t think this is the problem, i just renamed the motor6d to “Right Shoulder”
though, i don’t think i’ve encountered this with any other rigs i’ve made, like the frisk one. s’weird.

Humanoids are insanely fickle. There are so many hardcoded part names involved in how they work that it’s just stupid. None of my R6 creatures can use Tools if they don’t have a Right Shoulder motor. The Equipped event just never fires.

So to clarify, the Right Shoulder thing did not solve your issue?

1 Like

yeah, it didnt solve it, which is weird, cause i thought it would?

Can you go into more detail about your character’s part hierarchy, the names your parts have, and the rigging hierarchy and direction?

Is the Right Arm rigged off the Torso?

it isn’t, though, i can try to fiddle around with the whole rig.
…honestly, i probably should’ve had it like that from the start. stupid stylistic choices

i’ll try something new and let you know how it goes

1 Like

For testing, rename the current Right Arm, and just make a new part rigged directly off Torso called Right Arm, and name the motor Right Shoulder.

3 Likes

yeah, what you said worked, thanks!

wish i could have stylistic choices with how tools are held rip

With my creatures I typically have an invisible subrig off the HumanoidRootPart that consists of the Torso, Head, and Right Arm, and the actual character itself is built off the HumanoidRootPart completely separate from the subrig.

If you’re patient, you can animate the right arm to be in the correct position so that it appears the tool is being held in the right location. It’s pretty hacky and annoying though, and will probably never be perfect.

2 Likes

You could create your own weld between the handle and tooth when it is parented to it

1 Like

how would i do this for say, a dragon character to hold something in its mouth? would i have to make a tiny arm rig inside the mouth to get the default roblox equipping to work?? lmao

edit: i did just that, and it works!!

Just FYI the right arm requirement for R6 humanoids has been removed this week. You can accomplish this now without a tiny rig if you do the visual welding yourself in the tool script and set requiresHandle to false on the tool.

I kinda like that it auto welds it for me, so i think im gonna keep it. it is a bit annoying though since it keeps changing where the handle goes for my items, kinda weird.

can you have it do it automatically without having a torso part?