Why did the wiki translation process stop?

At the moment the wiki only supports 3 languages:

1. English
  2. Korean
  3. Chinese

With korean and chinese being barely supported, just translating buttons and titles, but no article or page is translated.

Unlike the website, which supports a lot of languages, I think the wiki should as well get some attention. I’m ready, and I’m sure a lot of people are as well, to volunteer for translating the rest of the sections, and some articles from now and then. Perhaps using crowdin.

I think the wiki should at least support common languages, like french, german, spanish etc.

7 Likes

Devhub translation is still being worked on!

3 Likes

Great! Didn’t know. Can the public join?

3 Likes

I’m unsure to what degree the translation is being done by humans, sorry.

3 Likes

So translation is being done automatically? Couldn’t that result in a few errors?

3 Likes

Again, I’m not familiar with the specifics of the translation pipeline or who/what is actually doing the translations. At the moment we have some languages in the works, and I can say that there is some amount of automation involved. Furthermore, when things are said and done we’ll be accepting corrections just as we are for English.

3 Likes

I think this should be looked at again, taking into consideration community-sourcing the translation, as well as considering that the Education Hub has been translated in a couple more popular languages (German and French). Discourse, the very software the dev forum uses, has benefited and will continue to benefit from community-sourced translations, also using Crowdin. Obviously to prevent spam/bad translations from getting into the DevHub, the translations should be verified by someone, whether it be staff members that natively speak the language or trusted individuals from the community that have extensive knowledge of the Roblox API that also speak the language. There should not be automatic translations of any sort – they will backfire and have proven to backfire.

The developer community is growing, but not all of them will speak English, Korean, or Chinese. Therefore accessibility is important and there are definitely users that are willing to improve that accessibility without any kind of remuneration. I am one of them.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.