Why do my old places have this?

Hello, I am curious why my old places get supplied the old ChatBubble script in the ROBLOX Player while my new projects automatically get supplied the newer ChatBubble script. I current still use LegacyChatService for all my new and old projects. For the reference, my old places have game.Chat.BubbleChatEnabled on false and game.Players.ClassicChat is on true, yet in the ROBLOX Player the place still has bubbles, and get the old ones for that matter, while having those same properties in a new place does not give me those old bubbles. I do not have any scripts overwriting the chat in any of my example places.

Old place in ROBLOX Player (game.Chat.BubbleChatEnabled is on false):

New place in ROBLOX Player (game.Chat.BubbleChatEnabled is on true, setting to false does not supply the old bubbles.):

I’m sorry if this sounds confusing, I am not really familiar on how ROBLOX handles this stuff, and it makes it more confusing since the Player and Studio do not return the same results when it comes to the chat scripts.

In addition to TextChatService, legacy games also use the now depreciated Chat service. You may want to add this service into your game by inserting it through the Models tab (Advanced > Services), and forking over the ChatModule folder in the legacy Chat service.

From there, try to change the settings of the chat by opening up the ChatSettings script in the ChatModule folder, and edit the properties in the chat for BubbleChatEnabled and ClassicChatEnabled to true in the Script.

1 Like

I found this helpful code comment that probably explains why my old places have the old bubble chat,

--- Replace with true/false to force the chat type. Otherwise this will default to the setting on the website.

I do remember years ago when BubbleChat was able to be set from ROBLOX.com, but are my old games really still pulling from that? Does ROBLOX still even have that data on their site? Anyways thanks for the help, I do have the old bubble chat now. :smiley:

It’s hard to say. Maybe this legacy feature just changed the BubbleChat settings in the ChatModule script, and when the feature to set the BubbleChat was removed from the main website, the settings were just left to be.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.