Why do players not return?

Hello! I am currently working on a game, ONE ROOM. It is a wave survival FPS shooter game similar to that of COD Zombies, where the enemies are various enforcement agents wielding guns and knives.

GAME LINK: One Room - Roblox

Recently, I have advertised it and amassed 4k+ visits and 120 favorites. Despite this, none of the players have regularly returned, as seen by the Roblox experience analytics and the global leaderboard in the lobby. I made a bunch of changes post-advertising campaign such as making a tutorial in case players are lost, making ranks and a global leaderboard to incentivize players to return, making the game easier in case players find it too hard, etc. I have also tested it with my friends, and though they genuinely enjoyed the experience, most of them do not return or play on their own free time. I am considering advertising once again to get players to try the game with these improvements, but I don’t want to spend money before ensuring that the reason players do not return is fixed.

I suspect that this could be because there is not much of a ‘culture’ or fanbase around my game, so getting the highest rank or getting the most kills is nothing but a bragging right to no one. Also, there is a lack of maps (as I am a horrible builder and map designer) and the game can be pretty hard (especially on mobile). One last thing I suspect is that the lobby UI can be confusing, and players may be confused on how to join their friends’ lobbies or even deploy on a mission.

EXTRA INFO:

• Average playtime with me and my friends is 20-60 minutes, with 90 minutes being the most I played the game with my friends
  • I spent $40 CAD on two advertising campaigns
  • The two advertising campaigns lasted 24 hours each, which got me 400 active players at most on the first couple hours and 0 active on the final hour
  • I have tried advertising on YOUTUBE and INSTAGRAM, with little views gained

Any feedback and help would be MUCH appreciated, and I am grateful you took the time to read this!

GAME LINK: One Room - Roblox

1 Like