Why Does Baseplate Game Take Up More Memory?

Hello all!

I was wondering why my baseplate game place takes up more memory than another Roblox game I played.

So there was a game I played on ROBLOX, and I see that my client memory usage is around 300 MB. This game probably has at least a few hundred parts in it.
Then on the same device, I open up the default game template place in Studio, the one that has a baseplate in it. I playtest it and my client memory usage is 700 MB!

I really don’t understand why, since all the baseplate template place has is a baseplate and no other parts. I have not inserted any scripts into the baseplate game, and like I said there’s only one part!

I don’t get why, especially since the other game I played had way more parts and scripts and players in it.

I’ve tried looking at some game optimization tutorials, but I’ve already done like everything they’ve said.

1. Turn on streaming enabled - Yes, I have turned on streaming enabled, and even customized some of the settings.
  2. Keep track of part count and reduce unions - There is only one part in the place and that baseplate is not a union either.
  3. Optimize scripts - But I haven’t even added any scripts yet
  4. Enable fog - Yes, I have fog end set to 1700. (I’ve also tried customizing fog start)
  5. Keep track of terrain - There is no terrain in the place.
  6. Publishing your place into a game always helps - I did, and my memory usage is still the same. Even after a few minutes nothing really changes.
    And of course I’ve done more than that, but those are just some of them.

I am in no way saying that these tutorials are in anyway wrong, I am just confused why my memory usage is still the same, even after following these steps.

Have I missed something?

Even if these steps are used to reduce lag and not memory, my baseplate game should still consume less memory than the other game I played.

If you're confused on what I'm talking about with my baseplate game, here is a reference

I really can’t understand why my baseplate game takes up more memory than the other game I played. Will anyone tell me how to fix it?
Have a fabulous day!

7 Likes

Roblox Studio usually raises the client memory by 400-500 MB for some reason.
Can you see if it’s 700 MB inside the Roblox player client?

2 Likes

It’s around 600 MB when I play it on the Roblox player client.

1 Like

Just for the clarity’s sake, you pressed join from the website into your empty baseplate, and the memory is at 600 MB?

Yes.
This time I tried the memory started at 550.

(Not sure if this is a me problem or a computer problem, or something else.)

This is normal, in studio you’ll have higher memory (probably because of the extra tools provided to actually develop the game). Real game memory and studio memory will not be the same, test in an actual game and you’ll find the right amount to compare.

1 Like

I already did, though, and it was at 550 memory this time.
I’ll try switching to another computer and see if that helps, but right now I don’t have access to my other computer.

When you play in Roblox studio, it will have about 2x memory because your computer has both client and server loaded. In an actual game you only have the client loaded.

1 Like

Are you sure no assets are in there? This means ReplicatedStorage and any form of Scripts. I have a world with scripts AND models and it only uses up to 350MB.

1 Like

Maybe it is plugins (if you even have any)?

2 Likes

Oh my, thank you so much!
Yes, it was indeed a plugin. It was the fake “Model Resize” plugin that inserted a bunch of scripts into in-game services like Chat and ReplicatedStorage. When I ran the game, the malicious scripts didn’t insert, but when I played the game, yes they did insert. I have the plugin deleted now, and I have around 300 MB.
Now switching to my better computer the memory usage is even lower now.
Also thanks to @Mystifine for notifying me about ReplicatedStorage, or I probably wouldn’t have found the plugin. :smiley:
(I would have seriously never thought about a plugin causing all this trouble.)

3 Likes

I am glad that your problem got solved! Good luck with whatever you are working on!

2 Likes