Why does everyone have access to the dev console?

I just want to know why everyone has access to the console because it makes no sense they dont need to see anything

2 Likes

So testers can report bugs in your game.

3 Likes

so why cant i just give specific people access to the console rather than everyone

1 Like

Well, what harm can it do???

4 Likes

You can disable it, for example in murder mystery 2 it won’t work

1 Like

1 Like

This console only display client-based details(not server). Removing it doesn’t do much but hinder any visibility of client-based issues.

2 Likes

Yea, but any idea why not for the server? It could be really helpful if it would also tell server-sided information which would, therefore, be helpful for the players to report any server-sided issue? Or maybe for game devs who want to testers to test their game?

This idea exposes a lot of information about the server. We rather not allow clients to see the server(but the developers can). However, we can propagate information from server to client if that helps.

1 Like

Information… like…?

The Developer Console intentionally only allows developers to access server information, likely because it made the most sense at the time and also that they wouldn’t have to do extra work sanitizing and removing sensitive information from the server data.

Also, server logs could end up containing sensitive information, like an HTTP request failing and the error revealing an authentication key to help with debugging, which would be very bad for the developer if players found said authentication key.

Personally, I think it speeds up the development and bug-fixing process if more people knew it existed, because then they’ll get into to the habit of sending screenshots of the logs, which can speed up the process of fixing issues. Plus, it’s always interesting for me to try and peek into how the game “works” or what it’s doing, I always have a fascination for it.

Also, all client logs are stored in a .txt file in the Roblox/logs folder anyway, so there’s no point hiding it in the Developer Console and not also removing it from the logs, which could make it easier for the engineers to find and fix engine-level bugs.

2 Likes

Alright so why not make it so that a developer could allow the players to view it or not or some players? Won’t that way be technically due to the dev? So roblox won’t technically get into legal trouble? Let me guess, a lot of work for the mutli-billion dollar company?

Huh? They can grant access to whoever they want by giving the correct permission, or they could just make a simple log viewer with LogService.

I’m not entirely sure if I am understanding your choice of words, but yes, the developer can choose to implement it themselves if it is really important to them.

Legal trouble for what? I’m sorry, I don’t follow your train of thought.

I don’t understand this mentality that, just because you can’t think of any reason for something existing, you can just point to a multi-billion dollar evaluation that, at the end of the day, is very misunderstood and does not suddenly make then immune to genuine human error.

3 Likes

Users should have access to information on their own client. Non-devs won’t be able to access your server information with the console.

1 Like

The reason they don’t is because if there is a bug, the players can see that there is a bug, and report it to the owner of the game.

No

No, they won’t get into any legal trouble, I don’t know what you are talking about.

Huh?

my point is let some developers choose if they want people to see it or not and give the option for specific, all, or no people to see it

So the console displays client-based information and not any server information? Well since everyone has access to the client, I guess this makes sense. But still, I think Roblox should let developers choose if they want all people, no people, or specific people (like game testers) to see it.

Ok. Fine. But, I’m curious, why?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.