Why does my mesh have missing faces when I import it into roblox studio?

Hello,

Today I have been trying to import my car into roblox studio, and for some reason when I import it it has missing faces, and it ruins the car. I am using a mirror modifier on my car, and it only bugs on one side, but not the other. I have tried applying all the modifiers and then importing it into roblox, and it still does not work, can someone please help me? Also I imported this as an FBX. (Edit) Yes, I double checked the flipped normals, and I also check marked the double sided box.

5 Likes

So is that side of the mesh the side where the mirror modifier was implied?

3 Likes

and are you absolutely positive that you enabled face orientation and made sure there was no red faces?

3 Likes

The whole car is blue

1 Like

Not always, the whole right side is where the mirror modifier was modified and it somehow glitched on both.

1 Like

Wow, maybe try importing it as a mesh part?

2 Likes

I will give it a shot, hopefully this works.

1 Like

Still did not work unfortunately.

1 Like

That’s so weird man, I had that issue before, where as I would import a mesh with all blue faces, and some parts were still invisible, but then I checked “double sided” and it was fixed.

3 Likes

Yeah, this problem seems really weird, this has happened to me once in the past, but I never thought much about it. Thank you so much for the help though, I really appreciate it!

2 Likes

can you try using solidify modifier? that might help

2 Likes

Will the solidify help because I don’t think so

2 Likes

Try triangulating the faces - I assume it is because Roblox struggles with rendering faces with more than 4 sides.

In blender, do
Edit → Face → Triangulate Faces

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/modeling/meshes/editing/face/triangulate_faces.html

7 Likes

This has also happened to me before while I was trying to import a magic staff in studio even though all my faces were pointing outwards. Try exporting your mesh in a different file format. For example if you exported it in .OBJ then try exporting it to .FBX and vice versa.

I might offer no help but maybe its worth a try. Go to edit mode and select all Your faces then go to Mesh > Normals > Recalculate Outside

@480_s , can you confirm if you’ve triangulated your mesh before importing into Studio just like @WhyIsThereALengthLim suggested? Faces with a lot of vertices can be difficult for Studio to triangulate on its end, and will result in errors similar to what you have there.

I go into more info in this post: Cup Mesh Importing With Holes - #11 by Aotrou

@Naa_boom

:rotating_light: :rotating_light:DO NOT SUGGEST THE SOLIDIFY MODIFIER. :rotating_light: :rotating_light:

It’s bad and breaks meshes. Do not suggest it as a “fix” for inverted faces (because it doesn’t). Do not use it to “fix” inverted faces (because it won’t). And shame anyone else suggesting to use it too. This is a thing I see way too often.

9 Likes

oh, i didn’t know that. it usually works for me when meshes are way too thin even know the face orientation is fine. thank you for the advice and the cup mesh link!

3 Likes

It worked! Your post explained it really well, I can not thank you enough!

2 Likes