Cup Mesh Importing With Holes

Hey guys.

I’m working on something that requires a custom cup mesh and after importing it after working on it in Blender for a while, it loses segments of itself for some strange reason.

Blender View: https://gyazo.com/aff46c3c0ac55c58df744eea22d71e24

Roblox Studio View (Result): https://gyazo.com/94ace64903ae4b8439a9eb35cccd6a29

Things that I considered the problem but couldn’t absolutely verify:

• Maybe the 160 segment count cylinder I added was a little bit much and Roblox may not be able to handle such a large amount of vertices in one face.
  • Strange inverse norm patches.
  • Unlikely clipping. (?)

Outside of those possibilities I’m stumped as for the reason why a mesh I simply extruded from a cylinder could break up on me. Any help?

3 Likes

That looks weird. The only thing i can think of is the faces facing the wrong way. You can select the faces and press Ctrl+N in Blender to choose which way they face.

2 Likes

This is correct, the normals of your mesh are inverted and as a result you cannot see them from below. You can easily fix this by selecting all (or specific faces), going into Edit Mode and doing CTRL + N. This will flip the normals.

Alternatively you can also use the Recalculate Normals feature in blender.

1 Like

For the few times CTRL + N doesn’t work, you can check what direction the faces are facing and manually flip each face.

Blender 2.79
  • In Edit Mode, press N to bring up properties.
  • Scroll over to the Mesh Display panel.
  • Under Normals click Display face normals as lines.

Now just select the faces facing inwards and on the bottom left press Mesh > Normals > Flip Normals.

Blender 2.80 Beta
  • In object mode, near the bottom right, press Overlays and tick Face Orientation.
    The blue faces are faces facing outwards and the red faces are the faces facing inwards.

Now in Edit Mode, Select the red faces and press Mesh > Normals > Flip Normals.

Worst Case Scenario

Very rarely even flipping the faces manually doesn’t work. If that’s the case, you’ll have to delete the bad faces and redo them.

1 Like

Everyone is saying it has to do with inverted normals, but i can’t see anything in the footage that indicates that’s the case. I made a cup using the same workflow as you and i haven’t had any issues.

If there were any inverted normals, the mesh should look like this in Blender.

Perhaps you’d be willing to share the cup model you uploaded to the site? You set your inventory to private so i couldn’t get it myself.

2 Likes

Perhaps you’re correct and Studio may have troubles creating what I suppose to be an N-gon at the bottom. If it indeed has 160 segments, consider triangulating it in Blender first, and then try to export it.

1 Like

That crossed my mind as well considering the places where I’m having problems is related to faces with too many vertices attached to them. And in this case the bottom of the cup.

To put this into perspective:

1 Like

I may end up loop cutting up a square and creating my own primitive to see how that does as for fixing the problem.

As for the people saying that it may be a problem with the normals being inverted I checked this out and they shouldn’t be the problem considering I derived this cup from a primitive cylinder and hardly touched the normals at all outside of checking if they’re valid with what I was doing with the cup. I didn’t do much to the cylinder itself besides and extruding and scaling the rings of it, so it’s a rather interesting predicament.

1 Like

in blender, be in edit mode and press “a” twice (could be shift+a) to select all and go into mesh, normal’s and recalculate outside (or Ctrl+N) .

A way to see if any is facing inwards is to do do whats in the picture, to get that menu there is a + on the right side of the work space and scroll down to mesh display (be in edit mode

any blue lines that you don’t see are the ones you want to change to face out.

I had the same issue and that’s what the issue was, also if you mirror a part and join them one side will change to face in

1 Like

In Blender did you remember to disable “Backface culling”, click “n” and scroll down to shading.

billede

1 Like

Op kindly provided me the Blender file to look over. I figured out the issue (and the solution).

The Issue

Too many vertexes attached to a single face. The picture is 160 vertexes which, for Roblox’s method of triangulating any non-triangle n-gon, looks like this
Which is a Hot Mess for the triangulate algorithm to calculate on Roblox’s side.

The Solution

Triangulating or Poking the face makes Blender’s algorithm do the heavy lifting, allowing Studio to focus on just the geometry

Here’s the same objects uploaded, now without the missing section of the face.

In short …

don’t forget to triangulate your objects before uploading

I quickly made a much less performance-intensive mesh for you, from 1276 triangles down to 86 (which honestly is still a lot of faces for an asset as minor as a cup. Make sure you allocate memory resources to the most important things first).

While still achieving the same goal - a smooth and round cylinder. I achieved this by using smooth shading and splitting my edges (retroactively I shouldn’t have split my edges, don’t do this). Check out what I did here:

CupNew.blend (468.5 KB)

17 Likes

I had a feeling that this was some sort of issue but I had no way of knowing there was such a solution in Blender for faces like this. Thanks for your assistance to the problem and I hope this helps anyone with similar problems who look back at this situation in the future. Cheers friend!

2 Likes