Why does Roblox always ruin Meshes?

Hello there,

I’m making a City game right now, and it’s going pretty well.
Anyways.

I was making a police cruiser, made a wheel, set them all up, and as I always do, I always export the car as a whole, just to see the amount vertices the model has.

Here’s the wheel before exporting:

390 Vertices
And this is the wheel after exporting from Studio:

955 Vertices

WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL!

The vertices amount literally TRIPLED after importing it into studio.

I really hope that this is some sort of mistake, or unintended, because this ruins game performance, especially for games with large maps, that already have trouble maintaining acceptable performance.

I’ve heard some people say that this is just how the engine “renders” the mesh, but it’s not possible that it literally triples the vertices.
This is really annoying, it’s STUPID!

Is there a logical explanation behind this, or is this just a dumb quirk?

Thanks for listening to my little rant, thanks for any tips.

4 Likes

Seems like, pre-export, it’s in polygons
“Okay yeah yeah it’s in polygons nothing special I know that”
But that’s the important part! Roblox uses triangles and triangles only.

So it has to convert it into triangles, that’s it, it just converts it into triangles.
Terrible performance, yes, but what could we expect from Roblox?

2 Likes

I wish that one day there are no hardware limits, but doesn’t everyone else too :man_shrugging: :frowning_face:

1 Like

Yeah…

Anyways, looking at that info text on the top left, you could figure out how many triangles your mesh will approximately have by looking at the triangles and not vertices

2 Likes

ROBLOX uses a special mesh format, which all meshes are converted to when they are imported.

Vertices do not ruin performance, as they are not rendered. Only triangles are rendered. The amount of triangles has not changed, only the vertices.

Vertices are used for shading in ROBLOX. You will notice when using a cavity overlay on Blender that the mesh looks smooth shaded with a lot of extra verts. Once these extra verts are dissolved (merge by distance), the shading is completely ruined. These are simply not compatible.

Your mesh is not ruined.

3 Likes

Oh, thank you so much.

I did not know the part about the vertices. The amount of them had me worried there for a second.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.