Why does studio close my open windows when updating?

Frequently I have my studio windows killed by an update and it seems really detrimental to be doing this to developers. Why don’t developers get an option to update or wait until they’re done saving / uploading / tweaking?

A great solution:
An Ok/Cancel dialog that pops up asking if I want to update now or wait. This is only for studio, not the game launcher. If I have no studio windows open, this dialog does not show up and it just updates as it does now.

Are there any downsides anybody can see to doing this? I see a downside to the current system but not this.

6 Likes

I’m the main PC bootstrapper/installer guy at Roblox right now. I’ll definitely look in to it!

Maybe we could do something like that, surprise force closing all editor windows is kind of… mean. I’ll have to discuss it with the client/studio team, though.

The obvious downside is allowing people to cancel and carry on indefinitely without updating isn’t fantastic. We want people to update, we probably don’t want to give people yet another chance to not update. That can and does lead to bad things.

I think ideally Studio would let you finish and save, but maybe not load or start anything new until you update. Supporting this in Studio might be excessively complicated.

1 Like

Yeah exactly. The biggest concern is that I always have to ask myself “Of the 5 places it just closed, which did I publish and which did I save locally?”