Why dont blender meshes work on roblox?

What are you attempting to achieve? (Keep it simple and clear)
*I am trying to upload blender meshes to Roblox
What is the issue? (Keep it simple and clear - Include screenshots/videos/GIFs if possible)
*It doesn´t work. An errormessage pops up. 01:00:37.297 - Unable to publish MeshPart: Inappropriate name.
Even though my mesh name is completely appropriate.

What solutions have you tried so far? (Have you searched for solutions through the Roblox Wiki yet?)

• I have found a site about the same problem on the Roblox Devforum, however, the post doesn´t include information about how I could upload meshes.
1 Like

The way I got around this incredibly annoying problem was to publish an empty place (on private), then in the left side of screen near where Performance stats are, you’ll have an import feature not there on local files. This importer auto-renames parts. From there you can open another Studio and copy the group or single mesh to the project you need it in. No need to save the published project. It’s only used to upload meshparts into the Roblox universe.

The system that decides if a name is appropriate is an abysmal failure. It often rejects numbers, random characters, and names that were fine 5 minutes ago.

1 Like

Id suggest not uploading with studio, perhaps go to the create tab and publish, obviously with an appropriate name.

Just change the filename to something else until it works; the filter is finicky. No need to try other bizarre methods.

2 Likes

If you have more than a few parts you could spend a good amount of time doing that though until it actually works. I’m not sure why but there is a shiny, fully functioning importer that only appears when a game is “published”. It helped me quite a bit.

Then change the name… What else would you do…

I have tried it but it keeps retrying.

No you export as wavefront .obj then you import the .obj file.

1 Like

@LTLietus Is it that mesh specifically? Have you tried to upload any others? Normally when you upload a few at the same time it resets filtering and lets it through.

2 Likes

Definitely try OBJ file. I’ve had more issues with FBX. Maybe 2 or 3 files together since it’s a “bulk importer”. After that I’d upload a test file here and we’ll examine the file and try it.

1 Like

You should try importing as a .obj file.

It is pretty much any mesh. However, the other answers told me to use obj. format instead of fbx. so I will try to do so now.

Don’t use fbx, only use obj I don’t know why you used fbx. Research before you ask please.

I used fbx. due to the fact that I saw several videos on how to build using blender, and the people behind those videos all exported to fbx. However know I know better, and won´t make the same mistake twice.

1 Like

For some reason it still doesn´t work, even though I am using obj.

Could you upload the file here? I’ll try to upload and convert it too.

What does the error say? I may be able to assist you.

It says ‘inappropriate name’, but he has renamed it multiple times and tried changing the file type.

It says: 00:30:56.601 - Unable to publish MeshPart: Inappropriate name

00:30:56.602 - Error while creating named asset: Could not upload MeshPart

can.obj (213.0 KB)