Why has the asset marketplace been removed?

If they were to put it back up they would need to make it so only verified members can make posts.

Other than that, I think it’s justified that it got removed. So many low quality assets and people not even selling their own work (not even talking about scamming) is what brought the entirety of it down.

1 Like

The asset marketplace was my least favourite section of the devforums, and severely decreased the quality of the site. Mentioning what Aotrou said, people would sell stuff for literal cents, which probably cost more in electricity or internet to make the post itself than sell it. Good riddance.

12 Likes

Simply more reasons to use the asset marketplaces for other game engines (Unity asset store, Unreal, etc) because Roblox provides a suboptimal service. It’s also disappointing that whoever operates this forum isn’t willing to put into the effort into making an announcement instead of simply removing things. You want your forum to be “professional” (ironic when most the user base is <16) but you aren’t willing to put in the effort to open an effective line of communication, it’s truly just a joke at this point.

7 Likes

Hey guys, thanks for all your answers, my opinion is that it should be back but remade so only verified members can post stuff there, and I am sure there’s a way to prevent people from selling low quality stuff for cents.

Perhaps I’m just plain ignorant, but what’s wrong with selling low-quality items for cents? Correct me if I’m mistaken, but isn’t there absolutely no wrongdoing if a user attempts to sell a low-quality item?

1 Like

The wrongdoing is a massive amount of forum spam on a forum that is meant to be a semi-professional development conversation space. We’re better off without all the noise, arguing for the sake of arguing and random feedback about quality or prices of offers.

12 Likes

Thank you for the response and you have a very fair point, but by the same logic, shouldn’t #help-and-feedback:building-support be removed too because it’s plagued by the same issues which you’ve described above? To be clear, I’m not saying that it should go but I feel that the same logic could easily apply.

No, #help-and-feedback:building-support is only filled with these posts asking for prices because there was an asset marketplace.

#help-and-feedback:building-support should be used to get feedback on builds. The issue was that people used it for other reasons, such as asking for prices.

Since the asset marketplace was removed, there will be much less (if any,) posts polluting this sub-category.

We’re looking at other ways to improve the level of posts in the support categories, one of them is trying out a StackOverflow-style layout for scripting support topics for example.

Asset Marketplace was beyond saving – highly inconstructive, mostly non-development related (mostly random arguing about IP, quality and price), and basically none of the topics were useful for anyone above the novice skill level. As mentioned above it had a negative effect on the rest of the forum too because people would use other categories to ask for pricing information.

12 Likes

So can a possible solution be to a enable asset marketplace for members only?

1 Like

Not sure, I have mixed feelings about the Asset Marketplace. I did get scammed by a builder who included free models, however I did make a profit by selling my own creations with it.

The increase of people selling in #collaboration:recruitment or #collaboration:portfolios is heavily increasing.

So is there any chance that the Asset Marketplace sub-category could be added once again ? Or is it gone forever now, due to it’s negative impact on the whole forum ?

Then can’t there be a place where private members can sell things, just like there is a private recruitment catagory?

1 Like

Considering that it led to a massive decrease in professionalism, I highly doubt it’s coming back in its current form.

1 Like

I just readied like 4 assets to sell. Big disappointment.

1 Like

Same, I have some pretty huge builds that I was planning on selling. This is very disappointing…

1 Like

A decrease in professionalism? What does that even mean? Is the forum operated on the basis of some quantitative measure of “professionalism” rather than what’s actually useful to the user?

Does somebody also want to explain the obsession of this majority-teenaged forum with professionalism?

3 Likes

Some developers are very serious about their games, and when the forums are unprofessional, and filled with spam / unrelated topics, it can make a negative impact. The forums are a privilege. If the forums are being used incorrectly then of course they will probably make changes.

I don’t feel very privileged when basic functionality you would expect from a “collaboration” forum is removed for bizarre reasons. Not to sound entitled, but if a customer uses your service (in this case, Roblox development tools), is good user experience “privilege,” or a reasonable expectation in exchange for their business?

I think the real spam is probably the multitude of responses to low-quality threads explaining why they’re low-quality. If professionalism is so important, maybe there should be a rule that you shouldn’t waste time responding to junk, and instead just flag it as such, instead of every second reader feeling the compulsion to condescendingly provide “feedback.” Crappy posts were usually at the top of that subforum because of everybody feeling the need to express their opinion. The problem might not be the subforum itself, but an abundance of posters with too much free time and an inflated sense of “professionalism” and authority.

3 Likes

I think the point is that it was a terrible experience and not a good one. It looks like you have made 0 topics and 0 posts in Asset Marketplace for as long as you have been using the forum, so perhaps it’s better to trust the judgement of other posters in this topic on this one who have used that category before.

There were already rules and guidelines like that in place, but that didn’t matter anyway, people either don’t care or don’t read. We’re pretty sure this is because the design of the category is just fundamentally flawed because it was trying to fit a game asset marketplace into software that is usually meant for discussion. (Comments are too over-emphasized and there is no good way to present assets / categorize assets / search for assets, and no good way to give endorsements or ensuring that an asset is actually made by the creator.)

10 Likes