Why has the asset marketplace been removed?

No what I mean is that you have in your portfolio assets that you made that people can buy, but your not creating a whole new post. I don’t see the harm in this.

Meshes

Sold

For Sale

1 Like

Yeah but people could still use their existing portfolio for asset sales. If we can’t sell assets in portfolios, we can’t sell assets in portfolios

1 Like

Please do not sell assets in the Portfolios category. These posts will be removed. Portfolios is for offering services, not goods.

6 Likes

If this is the cause for removal, shouldn’t #collaboration:recruitment and #collaboration:portfolios be removed too? The quality there is not much better.

Any updates on this?

1 Like

The quality of #collaboration:recruitment and #collaboration:portfolios is generally much higher than Asset Marketplace (despite the occasional bad thread). As for an official announcement, I wouldn’t know that kind of thing.

1 Like

The Asset Marketplace was a pretty good resource for developers to use, I myself enjoyed it quite a lot it allowed me to sell my assets that were of no use to me at the time. I had just found out about it just as came to make a post selling a furniture pack I have created. I think I speak for a majority of developers when I say it would be great if we could have it back.

2 Likes

I understand the decision to remove it, but doing so limits how players can buy/sell stuff. Instead of just leaving recruitment and portfolios, they need to redo the collaboration section.

If the asset marketplace category is gone, does that mean we can’t sell maps anymore?

Please don’t sell assets on this forum until we hear an official announcement on what to do. Forum leadership have said multiple times that posts that are attempting to sell assets in incorrect category will be removed. At the moment we have no category to post asset sales in so it is best not to post them.

1 Like

They did announce it check your Notifications it was released as “New rules” it was annoying for me to :confused:

1 Like

I’ve talked to roblox, They basically said the asset marketplace has to many scams. That was after I got scammed on it

That’s kinda sad, I was pretty active on the asset marketplace and I didn’t really see “spam”
I saw alot of high quality models and stuff that I myself would buy. I also sold some things myself and made profit. If there are so many scammers, just make it so only members can sell. It would decrease the amount of scammers. Just add a rule to ignore junk and instantly flag it. I am really dissapointed roblox just removes a category without even saying a word while talking about proffesionalism. I thought it’s a joke at first.

This wasn’t always the case. And quality is subjective. Of course the same could be applied for the reason of removal.

That doesn’t means a full member can’t go rogue or that they can’t make “low quality”. Let me just say I don’t make what people consider “high quality”. Oh and new members are going to be like “no fair”.

You can’t flag a post for having low quality asset. That doesn’t make sense as again, it’s subjective.

Only content of the post (off topic, violates a rule, etc) should be subject to moderation.

Maybe a staff member didn’t directly but it’s pretty obvious why. Going back to the very beginning…

If you used asset marketplace, consider taking commissions instead.

Some people, (like me) find it difficult to do commissions. For me, I have the weirdest schedule due to many personal reasons. Whenever I do commissions, I always get ghosted which today I still do not know why. The asset marketplace was a place for me to sell assets in a more comfortable way. No due date, no rushing, and no rude people. You just deal with it, if you like the price/asset or not.

Here’s my opinion on the subject;

I’m glad it’s gone. However, the reason that the assets were too low quality, in my opinion, it’s a bad reason. When the DevForums made it open for public access based on the sole reason you read the forums for a certain amount of time, the quality argument is silly to me. You cannot allow non-experienced developers into the forum and demand that the quality to remain the same as when it as manually approved. If you disapprove of this change in general (The New Member system) then I can understand why you’d be upset a lot of low-quality posts were made.

As someone who joined through this program, and as someone who’s a New Member, the Asset Marketplace should be a manual experience to join, such as how the Beta Testing program is. (Which means users like me would be left out of this experience. Which isn’t the worse thing in the world.) This should only be done if this is coming back, which by the looks of it, it’s not. If quality in builds is the main issue, then I can understand how moving it to a manual experience might help. However, I also understand the reason why this new program was added to begin with. It was to avoid having staff sit through a long progress of manually approving users all the time into parts of the forums.

There was a lot wrong with the Asset Marketplace.

• In general, the original post wasn’t actually talking about the asset and so a lot of users had to request for details that should of been included already.
  • The assets would be sold for :robux: 100 or less. Which makes them almost worth nothing. If assets are being sold for that low, they should of been made free.
  • Most of the assets were debated in the replies in regards of price - as in if the price was fair or not. This was also something I took part of, trying to debate with those who dropped the price by a large amount. Which means I was also apart of the problem.
  • The time spent on them were typically an hour or less. Which, in general, doesn’t make it a bad build by default - but it means users figured out a quick way to earn Robux rather than actually attempting to sell assets they were proud of.
  • Not only that but most of the assets weren’t really the original poster’s assets to sell. They were either stolen, or the buyer would resell assets they longer needed, which made them not the original creator for the assets.
  • When selling some assets, such as one building or something, those assets wouldn’t normally ease in with an existing build/map. So some people would sell something - like a chair - and that’ll be it, instead of full maps. When those small assets could be put up as a free model.
  • Speaking of free models, a lot of assets sold in the DevForums could of been made into a free model instead of attempting to sell it. Not every asset you make should be attempted to be sold, and a beginner’s builds definitely shouldn’t of been attempted to be sold.

There’s a lot of issues with buying preexisting maps and assets to begin with, that’s not limited to just the DevForum’s Asset Marketplace subcategory. Despite the staff and other users trying to make posts to warn users to be weary when buying assets, users being scammed daily was a huge thing.

I wasn’t apart of the DevForums when it was during the manually approved system, and I’ve only joined recently through the New Member system. So take this next comment with a grain of salt, but as long as I’ve been in these forums, there were users being scammed all the time. There was zero way to offer protection to these users and there’s still no way to offer protection to these users even if it was manually approved.

If you’re attempting to sell preexisting assets and not sure where to do so, there’s hundreds of Discord servers and Roblox groups you could attempt to sell them on. And/or you could attempt selling them on Twitter. With as many issues this subcategory had, and as someone who viewed it daily when it was up, it should probably remain down without an attempt to bring it back.

@coneylove133 & to anyone else who it may concern - Hidden Developers is a good resource. They allow you to sell preexisting assets in their Discord server and you can put yourself up for hire. If you don’t have a Discord account, you could always try selling them on Twitter using the #RobloxDev hashtag. You will always have another place to sell Roblox assets.

5 Likes

You have some very fair and well thought out points, though, I have a slight problem with what you specifically said below.

The assets would be sold for 100 robux or less. Which makes them almost worth nothing. If assets are being sold for that low, they should of been made free .

In the real world, yes :robux:100 is practically nothing, just spare change. However, Roblox is much different than the real world, with each’s respective currency having different purchasing powers. Just because 100 Robux may be worth nothing in real life, it doesn’t mean it’s worth nothing in Roblox. 100 Robux can still get a user a fair amount of things/perks in Roblox and I’m sure individuals who don’t have Robux can relate with the aforementioned.

Also, I completely appreciate the resources you provided at the end of your post. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thats a good point. When I think of users selling things in Robux, I convert it to USD. I don’t make payments in Robux, so the only value I can see in models are in USD and not Robux.

However, very good point! I didn’t think of that. Thanks for pointing that out.

3 Likes

I saw maybe ONE of these per week…don’t say most when that wasn’t the case. Sure, some people took free models for decoration, but in most of those cases they were trying to sell something else in the picture. Knowing how mean people are to each other these days, they took right to criticizing the free models instead of what was being sold.

A lot of people were selling assets for some robux as they practiced their skills. I’ve had many commissions asking directly for chairs. (at least 4 already, 2 wanted other stuff too) so you can’t say no one’s interested in buying them or they should just be free models. Remember there’s less experienced people than you sometimes.

I read a LOT of posts made by beginners. Most of them had said they’d been practicing for at least 3-4 months before joining the DevForum. Obviously, you don’t know what you’re talking about here, so you probably just should’ve kept your thoughts to yourself about the “Beginnings shouldn’t immediately sell on the forum” aspect, because it rarely happened…

Now to talk about others’ responses

The single statement I agree with most on this post. Those who aren’t interested in DevEx, or don’t have Premium can easily use this robux to buy cash in numerous (10,000+ games) and other assets

Some people don’t have access to/aren’t interested in DevEx…

2 Likes

I didn’t say all of the things in my list happened every day, I’m saying most (if not more than 3 things) happened every day.

Well, I don’t think the main issue was that they were selling a chair, it’s just an example. It’s just stuff like that didn’t mean to clutter the main page. Small assets, should be sold in packs/groups, or apart of a package deal or something. One tiny asset to be sold as a premade isn’t - and it didn’t really - sell that often.

I’m sorry, but what? You can tell by the details of how a mesh, or model is built and their understanding of studio. I am a TERRIBLE builder, I am most likely the worse one to ever cross this platform. So I understand what it’s like to be a beginner. Not every asset I have made should be put up for sold, so I was talking from personal experience. 3-4 months isn’t a long time (and the time you’ve spent in studio does NOT change your level. I’ve been using studio since 2012 and I still don’t understand unions or welding or whatever else.) and though I was talking about users talking about these experiences (as I stated earlier it’s silly to have an automatic system and then complain new developers are joining the platform) - I was saying not every asset needs to be sold. It’s a true statement.

Beginners have issues determining what is worth selling, which is why most users let people pay what they wanted or changed their prices so willingly upon request. This means they’re not understanding what should be sold and if something is sold for how much. And this goes back to my original topic; not every asset should be attempted to be sold. I am allowed to think that beginners (like their name implies) are not informed enough to be selling every asset because they don’t understand the market. And that’s okay.

The comments that I don’t know what I was talking about or that I should of kept it to myself doesn’t add to the conversation. I’m allowed to state my views just like how you were allowed to state your views.

Alright? Not sure what you’re responding to. I said I make all of my payments in USD, which is why I only see the value in USD. That’s actually not related to Devex - I base the Robux’s worth based off of Devex, I don’t use Devex. I wasn’t saying that there wasn’t any value in Robux or that people don’t use Robux. I’m saying I don’t understand the value in Robux, hence why my comment was made. But they brought up a good point, a point I already agreed to.

3 Likes