Why is there no ambient occlusion effect when I switch to future lighting

Hi I am a Roblox Developer who mainly builds and does UI and I’ve been having this issue for a while, when I switch from shadowmap to future the ambient occlusion effect is gone I didn’t have this issue before so I am pretty sure it’s not intentional so I am now looking for ways to fix this and I have my graphics at max

ShadowMap

Future

10 Likes

hey! i can’t really think of something that could affect the ambient occlusion in future other than the graphics quality, is it maxed out?

It may have something to do the the lighting blend/transparency rate. I may be correct; I am not sure. There is a script that disables shadows.

@sewrath @Ben_zzr i can confirm this is happening, i am at max graphics

1 Like

it is maxed and I even said it in the message it’s near the end so that’s maybe why you didn’t see it

I am not sure what lighting blend/transparency rate is can you explain

I can confirm this, I first noticed it a few days ago except it was with the decoration property on terrain.

With shadow map it has AO and with future, it doesn’t
– Future

– Shadowmap

Also If I must add I noticed they removed the 2nd rendering property for your graphic levels?

It use to have 2 one for manually editing your runtime graphics in studio and the second being your Studio Graphic quality. They’ve seem to have removed the studio runtime one.

– Current

– Few updates ago, Not exactly sure when this change took place.
Screenshot 2019-04-16 at 21.47.19

2 Likes

Try playing the game, this might work?

even in game (outside of studio completely) the effect is still gone

this has been a bug for a few weeks, both in studio and in-game

ambient occlusion is just a lot weaker with future lighting for some reason, and it seems to gets even weaker depending on how low the Ambient/OutdoorAmbient values are. when both values are 0,0,0 then it completely disappears.

1 Like

this has been happening to me for a couple of weeks now

1 Like

It’s 2022 and this is still happening. Pretty disappointing. Has this been reported as a bug yet?

4 Likes

This “bug” is an intentional behaviour by Roblox.

How so? Doesn’t seem like that would make sense or that it’s a good idea.

This is still an issue? Hard to achieve realism in games when you have to choose between realistic lights or realistic everything else.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s still an issue, and it got worse today, ShadowMap is missing ambient occlusion too, making the feature completely gone on all types of lighting as of now, not just Future.