Why is this happening to my custom character?

Hi there,
I’m trying to make a custom character, and for reasons that I’ve been trying to find for the past hour, the character loads in, but isn’t controllable or connected to the player themselves. I don’t know why this is happening. I feel like the solution is really simple but I just can’t figure it out.

BrokenCharacter

Also I don’t know if there’s a more suitable category for this question, but this seems like the best place to put it. If there’s a better place tell me and I’ll move it asap!

1 Like

Is the PrimaryPart of the StarterCharacter “HumanoidRootPart”?

1 Like

Yep and also how does your Rig look like. Did you set the root part of the model?

Edit: A good check to see if the rig is correct is to open it up with animation editor, if you can animate it properly then the rig will probably work.

Yes, the PrimaryPart is set to the HumanoidRootPart

It didn’t work originally in the animation editor because two parts had the same name, but when I fixed that it worked in the anim editor but the same issue happened when play testing.

Do the parts of the body have to be a child of the previous part? For example, does RightLowerArm have to be a child of RightUpperArm?

Nope the hierarchy doesn’t matter, only the motor6ds chain of part 0 and part 1. Did you try moving the animation legs, arms and torso? But how is it looking with the root part setting? Maybe making the humanoid root part visible to debug?

1 Like

Hmmm yeah it seems there’s a teensy problem with the HumanoidRootPart. Also in the anim editor every joint technically works but they’re all rotating in the wrong direction. I need to fix that in RigEdit.

So how do I fix this?

Looks like the humanoid root part is disconnected from the tree, did you move it using the studio tool? That tends to break it, I suggest connecting it back to the lower torso or upper torso.

1 Like

I don’t think I ever connected it in the first place… yikes, I’m dumb.
After I connected the HRP the model finally stayed attached to it, but it’s still doing the sliding thing.

Now onto the next step, which is changing the humanoid HipHeight which determines how high the humanoid root part should float off the ground.

3 Likes