Wich should be the dimensions of a block?

Hello to everyone,
I was about to start a new block building game when I think: Wich should be the sixe of the blocks?
I thing the ideal size should be btween (3,3,3) and (5,5,5) but I can’ decide. Any opinion?
Size: (4,4,4)
Size: (5,5,5)
Size: (3,3,3)

Wich one looks better? (I know that every player has a diferent avatar size)

• (3,3,3)
  • (4,4,4)
  • (5,5,5)

0 voters

3 Likes

What do you mean a “block building game”? Do you meant those “Build to Survive” games, or something else?

2 Likes

I mean that the game will have a building system, yes like the one of Build to Survive (like minecraft) but whith other purpose

2 Likes

If that’s the case, (4,4,4) should work. Or maybe something in-between (4,4,4) and (3,3,3).

3 Likes

I also think it, I may put 3.5 or like that (since not round number give me tok)

2 Likes

For practical usage, 4,4,4 is good, because it snaps to the grid best. Sub-sizes should be whole numbers like “2,2,2” and “1,1,1”, half sizes like “0.5,0.5,0.5” and at minimum, quarter sizes like “0.25,0.25,0.25”. That system of sizes would also help the game “mesh well” with the pseudo-convention popular on other building games.

But gotta say, if you are just thinking of making a voxel-looking game, something that looks like half the height of the avatar would look great! It seems small enough for slopes to seem traversable while big enough for the land to look full.

Recommend fixing the size of avatars in game settings in Studio to the amount you like, then setting the block size to half of that. Conversely, you could consider the max and min available avatar heights, 4 and 8, and take half of their average, in this case, “3,3,3”. Or use “2.5,2.5,2.5” as it’s half the height of most avatars and “classical” avatars and will make the block as tall as your current avatar’s waist.

2 Likes

Thanks for your recomendation! (I didn’t realized you could change avatar dimensions on the game settings so thx.) I will use that!

2 Likes