Will learning Java Scripting help me in Roblox?

I recently got accepted into a JavaScripting course, found it interesting and wanted to know if it will help me in Roblox terms.

Even if it doesn’t, it’s a new skill I get to learn, any info is appreciated, thank you.

(Not sure if this is the right category).

3 Likes

Well, Roblox only need lua, so it’s don’t will help, but if you’re learning, too is evolving!

2 Likes

Actually It could since Roblox-ts is a thing. That means you can use all the JS things you learned to also develop in Roblox. Although it wont make you a better Roblox Developer.

3 Likes

First of all, Java is not the same as JavaScript.
Second, it really depends. For me, I was having trouble progressing with my personal learning until I took a class on Java that my school put on. After that class I did find myself progressing with Luau. So, should you? Sure. If it interests you. Will it help. Maybe.

1 Like

Oh I thought Java and JS were the same. I’m still taking to course to learn something new, thanks for the info @Hiasei0 @mostbootifulgirlever and @MrMoled

Lol, it’s a common mistake since they are named VERY similarly. But they both are built and used for different functions.

1 Like

Oh I thought Java and JS were the same.

Key differences between Java and JavaScript:

• Java is an OOP programming language while Java Script is an OOP scripting language.
  • Java creates applications that run in a virtual machine or browser while JavaScript code is run on a browser only.
  • Java code needs to be compiled while JavaScript code are all in text.
  • They require different plug-ins.

Due to nice things such as Node.js. You can use javascript without a browser. It’s just waay more used in browsers and webpages.

2 Likes

https://java.com/en/download/help/java_javascript.html

Node.js: Makes a lot of discord bots.

Java isn’t similar to lua (Because java has class), But javascript is bit simiar to lua.
But only bit similar, something like defenition of function/lambda isn’t similar to lua.

1 Like

Well, if you’re going outside of Roblox to Web development and learning more about HttpService OR going to use Roblox-ts then yes!

Otherwise no.

1 Like

Learning any programming language will make it easier to learn another one because you have the basics down. Assuming you get to a decent level in JS you can probably switch over to Lua quite easily due to already knowing the fundamentals.

I don’t know any C++ but the other day I was debugging a satellite robot programmed in C++ and the knowledge I’ve gained from 3 years of Lua has definitely come in handy.

1 Like

I loved learning Javascript, it was the first typing language I thoroughly learned. I do suggest learning a different language before Lua (Roblox) because Roblox has so many APIs it can be confusing. Great question!

1 Like

In my opinion any previously known programming language will help you learn others, for a few reasons.

1. They share most of the same principles
  2. They all have the same DataTypes give or take a few.
  3. You have to problem solve
  4. If you have trouble with something you can always think of how you would do it in the language you know best, chances are you will much easier be able to figure it out.

Those are just a few examples. I came from first learning luau to then learn python (which is now my most known language) knowing just a little bit of luau still helped learn python (not much since I didn’t know much luau). But know that I know python very well when I come across a problem in luau I think how I will solve it using python, then if there’s something in that solution I don’t know how to do with luau I just research that specific thing/function.

Hope this helped!

2 Likes