Wind Shake: High performance wind effect for leaves and foliage

I’m not sure if I’m mistaken but there seems to be an issue with the :CleanUp function. :CleanUp is called during the :Init function and self.Initialized is set to false which causes the :CleanUp function to be unable to be called outside :Init due to the self.Initialized check. Nobody seems to have mentioned this, I can’t be the only one that has encountered this issue.

1 Like

Hi, I have a question, will the system be adapted for streaming?

2 Likes

I use it on my experience which has all its places with streaming enabled and have experienced no issues in its functioning.

2 Likes

It’s already built with streaming in mind, don’t worry!

2 Likes

Follow up, it does not, and looking to see if there is a way to allow it, currently it just changes the parts to the location they first formed

Is there a way to hopefully disable this movement somehow?

ignore the frame drops, tree generator batch spawn and terrain load in doesnt mix very well

1 Like

Hey @boatbomber! Any chance this module gets an update to play nicely with the new GlobalWind property? :heart:

20 Likes

I agree with @Thelegender, since the release of GlobalWind, this module can gain even more performance from what I recall.

3 Likes

The Global Winds is in beta currently, so this might add GlobalWind properties when it’s fully out

3 Likes

Yes, after it exits Beta I do intend to implement it.

14 Likes

Do you think you could make it work for bones in meshes? I’d love to make a rigged tree and having it flow in the wind like how other engines do it

1 Like

That’s a planned feature but I don’t have a timeline for it.

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/BoatbomberRBLX/status/1670189608313982977

2 Likes

Yeah haha my “no timeline” can mean anything from tonight to next year but in this case it meant the next day

4 Likes

Would this be a viable option for something like tornadoes?
I’m wondering if possibly I could make trees in a certain area wrap around the funnel with high strength whilst trees from farther away be barely effected as it tracks through land without any snapping issues or other.

WindShake V2 is released!

Features

• Skinned mesh support
  • workspace.GlobalWind support (Docs)
  • New animation math (better directional swaying)
  • Performance improvements and bug fixes

23 Likes

Hello!

I’m excited for the new module. I am trying it right now but I think my Initiating script is wrong as it’s not working. Could someone tell me what I’m doing wrong? Thanks!

local ReplicatedStorage = game:GetService("ReplicatedStorage")
local Windshake = require(ReplicatedStorage:WaitForChild("WindShake"))

local WindDirection = Vector3.new(0.5, 0, 0.5)
local WindSpeed = 20
local WindPower = 0.5

Windshake:SetDefaultSettings(WindDirection, WindSpeed, WindPower)

Windshake:Init()

Is there any fix for this @boatbomber

You are calling set default settings incorrectly, check the API. It takes one dictionary, not multiple arguments.

1 Like

No, that’s expected behavior. WindShake doesn’t currently support shaking objects that move around the map, it’s designed for stationary map foliage.

1 Like

Does this work with your WindShakeEditor Plugin?

1 Like