With placement systems in games, how are inappropriate builds dealt with?

Is there anything in the terms of service stating that there must be a “Report Build” Feature and that it’s the developer’s responsibility to do this? Or is it like the chat filter where misbehaving users are dealt with when caught, and to just simply Report using the in-game report feature?

Overall Question:
When designing a placement system, do we have to design a Report Build feature and maintain it?
Does anybody know how this works or if there are any rules stated anywhere?

8 Likes

I assume you’d just report them using the built-in report tool. I haven’t seen building games with a report feature made specifically for builds.

3 Likes

Thanks for the response. I was asking as I noticed that this game has it so that mods review builds if reported by players, was wondering about this question because of that.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s required (don’t take my word on that) because there’s already a report button in the in-game menu (like you said). But with this kind of freedom, it’s always recommended to have a report button. The punishments can range from removing the build to banning the player once in for all. And when enough players report the build, then the punishment is inflicted upon the violator.

In short, just include a report button, it goes a long way.

9 Likes

That’s probably just as a bonus precaution, I don’t think it’s required.

1 Like

Alright, I see. Thanks for the response guys. I guess this applies more to games with free-placement systems or part-building systems. My idea was a sort of grid-based placement system with pre-built furniture, so for the most part should be safe unless furniture is arranged in a clever way or something like that.

1 Like

ESDRP doesn’t check the reported builds, It’s doubtful the mods check any reviews.

2 Likes

Placebo then? Just for the sake of scaring players from doing bad things?

2 Likes

Their is no real moderation behind this, I mean for example in Roblox many people used to build in game and STILL DO. No moderation was being taken into account for this because it is not really possible to moderate something like that. Roblox has though taken the steps to make sure that EVERY game has a way to report players which essentially covers them. This is something you cant really filter out but should take steps like having game moderators for that exact reason.

4 Likes

You don’t have to do anything, but having a small team of moderators would be useful. Roblox won’t ban anyone for inappropriate builds in games because they have no way of viewing what the players built.

2 Likes

In the context of Welcome to Roblox Building style games, if you want some sort of custom system (on top of Roblox’s moderation), you could add a voting system and simply hide builds from players that have downvoted, aren’t friends with the owner, or for builds that have a majority downvote.

3 Likes