Working on a "Reactor CORE" type game [Devlog]

Quite good. But as an aviation guy, that runway is very short.

7 Likes

True, the runway needs to be bigger

2 Likes

Here a nice runway with nice proportions!

10 Likes

9 Likes

Awesome! Looks much better. Looks cool at night too.

5 Likes

making the runway lighting

13 Likes

the runway is finished!

edit:(I dont know why the runway texture didn’t load :thinking: :thinking:)

15 Likes

Okay! the runway texture finally loaded

11 Likes

If you need some inspiration for the control room, look at real world images of power plant control rooms, not just nuclear power plants. They’re usually wall-to-wall with screens, gauges, lights, and interfaces. If you want to maximize immersion, try to get the screens/gauges/lights to react to what’s going on within the facility, as well as what’s happening with the core.

You seem to have your general aesthetic on lockdown – not too future facing, but clearly industrial, and I greatly appreciate that aesthetic. Some parts of it look a little too clean, I’d recommend adding grunge especially in areas that are primarily industrial such as the funicular or any side/maintenance passes you may add. Some of the lighting also feels particularly bright, which you may want to adjust. I noticed that this passage seems to be using PointLights, most obvious on the yellow hazard lights – transition them to SpotLights with a wide radius and lower brightness so they don’t cast light in an area where it doesn’t make sense for them to do so.

As mentioned before, your runway is still rather short. What kind of aircraft do you plan to have landing at that runway? If you plan on having large cargo aircraft landing at that runway, you’re going to need to make it much longer. You also don’t want to have the lighting stand right behind the runway, as that is the “blast pad” where the air from jet engines is allowed to safely dissipate. That’s why that section has the big yellow chevrons.

12 Likes

thank you for giving me all of these details! I’ll fix everything that you mentioned!

6 Likes

and also for the runway I cant make it longer because of roblox studio’s part sizing limit but I’m sure I’ll find a way by using a mesh or something else

3 Likes

Don’t be afraid to break it up into multiple parts. Just because Roblox has a 2048 stud limit doesn’t mean you can’t build your runway with multiple modular components.

4 Likes

Wait how much studs would a “large” runway be in roblox?

2 Likes

I grabbed a C130 off the catalog and it’s roughly 130 studs long. A real world C130 is about 30 meters long. That comes out to about 4.33 studs. For the sake of brevity, and because accuracy isn’t super paramount, 4.2 studs is a safe number to use per meter. You could round to 4 or 5 if you really wanted to.

Most runways are about 3km long to allow basically any kind of plane to land. For the sake of your own sanity in this case, I’d probably make it about 6000 to 8000 studs long and adjust the scale accordingly. Your runway width looks correct.

Don’t be afraid to look at real world airports and copy their taxiway/runway designs. They’re pretty well standardized across the board.

3 Likes

after looking in roblox studio I duplicated a 2000 studs part 4 times to get a 8000 studs long part but then I saw that its too much for my game the part took all of the topside’s desert area and it just didnt look good the way it was so bigger that the actual topside.

6 Likes

Yeah, that’s why I mentioned 6000. Runways are super long, though, so it’s okay if it looks like it stretches off into infinity. You can probably fake some of it by adding an invisible wall (if you don’t plan on having players get into aircraft and escape or whatever) and adjusting your atmosphere/fog to hide the most distant point.

3 Likes

I am sorry but I find the runway too long to match the rest of the game I know that it would be more realistic to use a runway scaled with its real life scale but its just too much for my game I want the runway to be just a little bit bigger than the topside. But I’ll follow your other avices make the end lights far from the runway and I’ll also change the texture of the runway to something more realistic and I’ll still try to make the runway a little bit bigger

and also when you told me to make the game less clean well I built the game like this on purpose because of the Game’s Lore:
in the game’s lore the facility has finished being built really recently and thats why everything is so clean its because everything is still new that why I am not using a “Futuristic - Sci-Fi” building style its because the timeline of my game is in (2022 or 2023…I dont know it will depend on the game’s publish date) but you’re right I should add some imperfections to areas of the game.

3 Likes

facility’s TopSide(or whole facility’s
territory) entrance:

9 Likes

at night:

(“dont pay attention to the empty building in the middle I didn’t start making its
interior yet”)

11 Likes

When the players join the game they will spawn in the top side area

4 Likes