`Workspace.AnimationWeightedBlendFix` infinitely hangs concurrently running animations

Reproduction Steps
Currently, as of 3/10/22, the Workspace.AnimationWeightedBlendFix property infinitely hangs concurrently running animations, even if they are at a different priority. This results in code that relies on those animations completing infinitely yielding, which causes game-breaking bugs.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open up the repro place file I have attached privately to this bug report (repro contains game specific code that cannot be posted publicly)
  2. Observe that Workspace.AnimationWeightedBlendFix is set to true
  3. Run a playsolo test.
  4. Climb up one of the green parts
  5. While on a green part, click on the “play hurt animation” button. Observe that true is being logged to the output to indicate that code is waiting for the hurt animation to finish playing.
  6. Observe that the animation never finishes playing, and that the code is infinitely yielding.
  7. Jump off of the green part. Observe that the hurt animation plays and the code logs false to the output.
  8. Stop the playsolo test. Set Workspace.AnimationWeightedBlendFix to false.
  9. Repeat steps 3 through 4.
  10. Click the “play hurt animation” button. Observe that true is logged to the output for a bit, then false is logged since the animation completed playing and the code resumed execution.

Expected Behavior
It is expected that an animation would play as normal code-wise and not infinitely hang, regardless of it is visually being overlapped by another animation or not. This is expected behavior, as stated by @AllYourBlox (Animation Engine - Runtime Changes and Fixes - #358 by AllYourBlox).

Actual Behavior
An animation that is being overridden by another animation can infinitely yield if Workspace.AnimationWeightedBlendFix is set to true.

Workaround
Setting Workspace.AnimationWeightedBlendFix to false.

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Other
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-03-10 00:03:00 (-05:00)
A private message is associated with this bug report

5 Likes

Mine is an infinite jump loop for other players…

Also this recent bug may be related

1 Like

This is still happening as of 3/25/22. With animation retargeting recently being enabled and requiring Workspace.AnimationWeightedBlendFix being set to true, are there any updates regarding the fix for this bug? I can’t enable animation retargeting for my game until this is fixed, since it completely breaks my game’s movement mechanics.

Apologies for not posting a response directly to this ticket. @AllYourBlox confirms this was fixed as part of the larger set of updates to the WeightedBlendFix/New Runtime System opt-out. Let me know if you are still seeing issues using it along with the new Retargeting feature, which we’d love your feedback on!

3 Likes

Hi, thank you for the update!

I’ll run some tests in my game next week with the system enabled, and let you know if it is indeed fixed or not.

1 Like

I’ve ran the relevant tests in my game. It appears that this bug is fixed.
Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 18 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.