WorldModel can effectively crash all variants of game platform software [RCC/Studio/Player]

Describe the bug. Describe what is happening when the bug occurs. Describe what you would normally expect to occur.

WorldModel seems to be a stripped down workspace that inherits basic behaviors such as raycasting from WorldRoot. Currently it doesn’t seem to be active since you can’t Parent it. But it doesn’t mean it can’t be used from Nil. When you setup 2 parts in it and do a basic raycast it causes a crash that can stack even servers as seen from one of the images attached in this post.

How often does the bug happen (Everytime/sometimes/rarely)? What are the steps that reproduce the bug? Please list them in very high detail. Provide simple example places that exhibit the bug and provide description of what you believe should be the behavior.

Happens every time use the script below as a PoC

local worldmodel = Instance.new("WorldModel")--If you try to parent this, It would throw a error
local part = Instance.new("Part")
part.Anchored = true
part.Parent = worldmodel

local part1 = Instance.new("Part",worldmodel)
part1.Anchored = true
part1.Parent = worldmodel
part1.Position = Vector3.new(100,13,45)

worldmodel:FindPartOnRay(Ray.new(part.Position, part.Position-part1.Position)) --induces crash

Where does the bug happen (www, gametest, etc) Is it level-specific? Is it game specific? Please post a link to the place that exhibits the issue.

I haven’t tried on gametest builds currently does it in production at the time of this post, Bug doesn’t really need a place too since it can be reproduced from a simple script from above.

Screenshot of server stacking:
firefox_37dNXAlZk8

6 Likes

I can confirm that this does work on the gametests. I tried this bug on gametest 2 and it gives you the Roblox crash message instantly.

The WorldModel should not be used yet. It is in the engine, but has not been officially released and is not supported yet. However, we will look into this issue and make sure it is fixed before we announce that the WorldModel is officially released. Please don’t use it in games at this time.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.