WorldModel Is Now Available

this could be a bug, so we will look into it

16 Likes

why this is no work for me?

7 Likes

what do you expect to happen, and what is happening?

1 Like

i insert animation script into the character and is no show the animation. (just same as the character inside workspace)

1 Like

Ayy this is pretty cool. Currently we have a system that c-frames the model in workspace and constantly copies the animated model in a viewport frame to “animate” it. This should make things a bit easier :wink:

Edit: It would also be nice to be able to use viewport frames in surface GUI’s.
Second Edit: I think you should be able to add a model inside of a viewport in a surface GUI part to have it show up, not adornee it through starterGUI. It’s more intuitive.

7 Likes

you can use already viewportframes in surface guis

2 Likes

No you can’t. I just tried to earlier and it wouldn’t show the model, and when I moved the model to a regular GUI it showed up. Unless it’s broken.

5 Likes

how you tried to do that?

8 Likes

Left is a regular GUI with the same model as the viewport frame on the right.

As you can see, it’s not showing up.

1 Like

try put the surface gui inside starter gui and set the adornee to the part.

7 Likes

6 months is pretty good turnaround time, not gonna lie.

7 Likes

That worked, thanks. But I seriously think they should allow you to add it how I originally tried. It’s more intuitive.

7 Likes

Is physics calculated ‘locally’ in WorldModels? Eg if I have a spaceship and character inside a WorldModel, can I put the WorldModel millions of studs away from the origin and still have stable physics for the ship and character?

3 Likes

This is great. Thanks for the consistent updates to make our lives easier. Many of the new features have helped trim down our code.

I am curious though; How the raycasting works with WorldModels. Anyone got an example of what this would look like?

1 Like

I haven’t checked this yet, but can we have lighting, skyboxes, shadows, etc… in viewportframes? If this isn’t a feature yet, then when will it be a feature?

If lighting gets added to viewportframes, then I see people being attempting to make windows using viewportframes in surfaceguis.

5 Likes

This is really nice. I like this.

1 Like

There seems to be quite a hefty performance penalty simply for putting things into a WorldModel:

The rightmost 2/3 or so of this picture is from adding WorldModels into ViewportFrames that have character rigs in them. The rigs have joints in them, however, none of them are animated or moving. Will we see more optimizations for this?

EDIT

I made sure everything was CanCollide false and Massless true as well. Performance issues still remained. Something interesting to note is that performance is mostly taken up by some kind of spatial filtering. This performance cost also does not really seem to scale up or down, it seems completely fixed at about 0.01ms per WorldModel on my machine.

15 Likes

Workspace inherits functions from WorldModels right?

1 Like

What issues have you found? A lot of functionality is not supported in the WorldModel. Specifically only what was mentioned in the original post are what we are supporting right now.

3 Likes

Workspace and WorldModel both inherit from WorldRoot. This does not seem to appear properly on devhub right now but you can see it if you run print(Instance.new('WorldModel'):IsA('WorldRoot')). You can also see it here.

3 Likes