WorldModel Is Now Available

Looks really cool! Will for sure check it out. Will you be updating this in the future to include more features than just Humanoids and raycasting?

1 Like

we will add functionality as appropriate, but no timelines at the moment

6 Likes

For reference what’s your total physicsStepped there? Judging by the total Frame Time for 44 frameSteps being .593, looks like your entire physicsStepped is < 1ms? You had to zoom in pretty far!

We can still do better, but 0.01 ms for an entire mini-Workspace isn’t terrible. That part of the overhead shouldn’t get much worse if the character was animating at least. And yeah, ideally this should be free if they’re static… WorldModels do have overhead, but it should be less than emulating the same thing yourself in Lua.

There’s room for many different optimizations here, and we actually have people working on a lot of these already! We decided not to hold this feature back waiting for that work to be completed though. That work proceeds in parallel, and soon this processing time will too. A lot of these changes will benefit both Workspace and WorldModels, without developers having to change anything.

16 Likes

Currently, you need to create it with Instance.new(“WorldModel”), but hopefully we can insert it through studio sometime soon :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

Just for context, that was on a machine with a 9900KS @ 5.2GHz, on the average machine it is usually about twice as slow or more. Approaching 1ms and above to add WorldModels into the ViewportFrames for our in game shop menu is unfortunately too much for us to use the feature right now.

Glad to see there are improvements being made, though!
Is there any sort of timeframe for when we can expect them?

4 Likes

Can you guys please comment on performance and best practices for world models? How expensive are they? Is there a way to pause one?

What about replication! Does this guarantee local simulation? If you put this in a billboard GUI, what happens?

16 Likes

MIIRRROOOORRRSSSSS!!!

I’ve been waiting for a way to handle mirrors for a long time! I wonder how scalable this is though; when you have 20 characters in a room and you want mirror humanoid copies of all of them…

Edit: If I get to testing this, I’ll post again whether or not it is actually viable performance wise.

7 Likes

Members of the workspace can be found on worldroot’s page, though i am unsure why there must be two different pages and how worldroot is set apart from workspace

1 Like

if you would go at this like i am thinking you would, i am guessing you would use a raycasting method to find parts that would be reflected and display them on the viewport somehow, i believe you would just have to recreate the physical model in the viewport without the need of any mirrored humanoids (with the exception of clothes, you may need a humanoid for that)

If this is ran locally (which i am assuming it will since the image seen in a viewport will change based upon the viewer’s orientation to the mirror, requiring everyone to see a different image) i doubt it would be too strenuous on one’s pc.

1 Like

The last parts seems the best one if you ask me.
Time for much easier animations.

1 Like

I hope ViewportFrames get their own Lighting, so we can customize them even further.

8 Likes

You can use viewport frames in surface Gui’s I did this a while ago I will let you know if I find the creation. :smiley:

Am I the only one having trouble adding this into there game? I updated studio and it’s still not there. :confused:

1 Like

You can’t visually find it in the insert menu. However, as @DRCGaming said, you can create it using Instance.new().

4 Likes

Hi there. I am just asking if there are any new updates to building, I really didn’t understand this.

This looks like it’s more UI and scripting stuff.

edit: How do WorldModels work? - #6 by fireboltofdeath

Does this mean we can show terrain in veiwportframes now?

1 Like

You can use SurfaceGui by setting its Adornee to your desired part

Are constraints not supported in WorldModel yet?
Trying to have a part with a RopeConstraint attached to a Humanoid Dummy in the ViewportFrame and it just freezes as if no physics are applied - Welds appear to work but not Constraints?

If I drag the Humanoid Dummy and part to the Workspace from WorldModel, studio crashes with “Roblox needs to quit - we’re sorry” without fail, almost as if studio can’t calculate its physics or something after dragging it from WorldModel.

EDIT: I’d like a reply? Can someone confirm that it is not supported?

2 Likes

Cool thing, maybe sometime later I will come in handy

1 Like