Worst punishment for stolen models?

Im aware that there are alot of stolen models in the toolbox, I want to use these models but idk how to check if they are made by the original owner. My question is whats the worst that could happen if it turns out it doesnt belong to the person, will the asset get removed or will my game get taken down? I want to use the toolbox cause it can save alot of time of development, but i dont wanna risk getting my game taken down or getting my account banned.

13 Likes

Well, some people steal models and claim it as there own, which is plagerism i.e illegal. Don’t think your game will get taken down, not unless you say you made all models, make sure there isn’t any backdoors in the models, that could get your game taken down.

5 Likes

Best way to avoid this is to make everything yourself. :+1:

27 Likes

Stealing models alone is already considered theft, using the models and claiming them to be yours without any written statement is copyright infringement. You are lucky if you just get a strike on your account, however serious people may take it to the point that they will sue you with real life legal actions. Always think twice, thrice, a hundred, a thousand or millions of times before doing something like this, or better yet, don’t do it at all. The concern with a lot of stolen free models can be solved easily, create your own models or message the owner of the model, if there is no response, don’t use the model, the account under that model could be a bot account trying to rip off other young developers, or that account may be unaware of the consequences.

10 Likes

Stealing models, is not okay. Sure, you can probably get away with it. But if you don’t and you get called out for it, there can be many outcomes. Such as tarnished rep, people not trusting you, and more.

3 Likes

I remember reading up on this stuff and roblox said that they own the rights to your games. How can a developer sue someone over rights if they dont have the rights in the first place.

4 Likes

Well I wasn’t really referring to the standard roblox developer, but more like developers who actually protect their assets with copyright. Developers on roblox who don’t allow copying of assets can report stolen assets to be taken down without legal action, but a strike on your account will be recorded. This also applies to external assets not made on roblox.

2 Likes

whats a strike and how does it effect your account?

2 Likes

Read this thread

3 Likes

Using stolen/ leaked models, and claiming it as your own, is a huge nono. I just recommend to build your own models. As this will help you to expand your abilities!! We all start out somewhere and need to improve. Some are naturally gifted and some will need to learn. ;p

5 Likes

It depends on the case. I’ve seen games (i.e.: Magnet Simulator, something like that) get taken down for major asset-stealing violations. Stealing assets on the Roblox platform is a crime.

Unless there is consent from the original creator, or the asset is through a free model, any additional assets not made by the development team is stolen.

If the assets suggest to copyright, infringe a companies intellectual property, etc. there can be legal trouble/a large chance of the game getting shut down (PBB).

4 Likes

wdym major asset-stealing? What were they using that got them in trouble

2 Likes

A few months ago, I heard “Magnet Simulator” stole assets from “Pet Simulator”. Although I have not tried out the games myself, I have seen comparison images.

The assets overall were complete steals with minor modifications.
Pro-tip: the best way to compare an asset is getting two individual assets (one from the original owner, and the other from the “asset-stealer”) and set their opacity to .5

2 Likes