Would a Hansel & Gretel game be copyright free?

So I’m thinking about making a short narrative cinematic game based on these two characters, would Roblox take my game down if I were to make this?

That story was made way back in 1812, so you’ll be fine.

4 Likes

i don’t think you’ll going to get copyrighted over a fairytale that was created 2 centuries ago.

3 Likes

According to all legislation I can find, as long as it’s at least 70 years old, you’re good to go!

Literary, musical, dramatic and artistic works:

• written works like stories, plays, essays or poems,

• dances or mines,

• musical works,

• graphic works, like paintings and drawings, etchings, engravings, photographs and sculptures,

• works of architecture,

• works of artistic craftmanship

see also specific types of literary, musical, dramatic and artistic works. From date of the creation of the work until 70 years following the authors death.

Source: The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 (last amended 17th April 2015)

1 Like

I don’t remember the characters, I don’t remember what they looked like. That’s sad. But, no, you won’t get copyrighted. It’s a story that nobody talks about anymore, and you aren’t even fully copying it. I am pretty sure it is allowed.

1 Like

If something has been around for 100 years its in the public domain. Do whatever you want!