Would anyone know how to recreate this effect?

this game uses only sound to “see” with and it makes a outline of objects around you when a sound is made heres a example of it Lurking Trailer - YouTube.
would anyone know how i could recreate this effect?

2 Likes

The effect may be possible by making the Material ForceField.
Not sure about the scripting of the Sound visibility though.

1 Like

The Selection Box lets you show outlines on parts, unfortunately they only render as rectangles, making them unusable for wedges, cylinders, balls, or meshes.

1 Like

thanks i will try the first part and im trying to figure out how i could script this.

i will do research on it thank you.

I have not done outlining, but here’s the theory I picked up from seeing examples of it.:

1. clone the part locally (this is important as each player will be at a different angle)
  2. make it neon
  3. move it away from the camera, so that it is mostly blocked by the original part
  4. increase the size so it produces a halo
1 Like

There’s a tutorial on an effect like that but I’m not sure if it works with sounds.

2 Likes

Maybe use a SelectionBox on every part, and then just use black FogEnd in Lighting to reveal them? You can also use FogStart to get rid of the feathering effect if you want sharper outlines.

1 Like

You can definitely make it work with sound, just use playback loudness Sound | Roblox Creator Documentation. not only will this make the timing perfect every time the sound is played, but it won’t spam whatever function/event you connect to it.

1 Like

This does technically work and looks nicer, but if you ever wanted the player to look beyond whatever echoes they make, they won’t see a thing. It’s better to use point lights and very specific world lighting settings to achive this effect. Also selectionBox only forms lines like a box; this isn’t a equivalent to something like a edge detection shadder because if you used a wedge, their would still be a box outline.

1 Like