Would having a lot of high poly meshes in game affect the gameplay too much?

Greetings,

I want to make a game where players would be all be equipped in some cool fantasy armor(think MMORGP), and these meshes are all anywhere between 500 to 8k vertices. Basically, I am wondering if low poly models are artistic choice or is it wiser to use low poly models in game to keep performance optimal. Obviously all of these models would be set to no collision and box collision fidelity but even so would it slow down the game if you had 10-15 players, each wearing a full set of such armor and weapons?

Thank you for your time

Depending on how it’s made, it’s entirely possible to have both low poly armour and having it look good by using a texture.

For player rig assets, and depending on complexity and armour design, tris can be understandably high since that’s always on the player’s screen - always allocate most resources to the most visible areas.

However that still requires a nice texture :wink:

I co own a cafe group called Coast. Our builds had so much low poly meshes and when we released it to the public everyone complained they were lagging. I recommend if you do low poly make sure its on one mesh per terrain/grass etc, otherwise it will get super laggy. :slight_smile:

Hey @Nogalo , it really depends on what other assets you have in your game. You want to optimize it so that players on all platforms and running devices can access it.

So a game where every player in game is covered head to toe with high vert count meshes such as the overlord set below is unrealistic, at least at the moment, even if they don’t collide?