Would overly dark themes (PTSD, addictions, etc.) be against Roblox TOS?

I’ve been thinking about developing a game with my friend who’s a way better programmer than me. The game would be about the life of people with severe PTSD, Addictions, and all around negative things that one wouldn’t want in their life. The game would Kind of be like Anxiety. I was thinking if I put people with addictions to smoking, gambling, and so forth. Would it be against Roblox TOS?

5 Likes

Yes it would be against Roblox ToS

6 Likes

Man, I know the question sounded stupid but Yeah it would be. I might have to make this game On Unity or something

It is against the ToS. If you really wanted to make the game on here, then you should wait for Roblox to add the game rating system.

3 Likes

I personally think Roblox has become a little too geared towards kids. This is why I think all of us are dying for Room 2 to come out

5 Likes

Of course this is against the TOS, Gambling is against the TOS, also depictions of smoking is also against the TOS try something different then something that doesn’t break the TOS. Roblox has many possibilities as long as you follow the rules! Here is some useful info on the TOS: https://en.help.roblox.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004647846

3 Likes

It is against the TOS, as Roblox does not allow (any form of) drugs, smoking, and gambling.

Dang, I think It would’ve kind of aged up the audience of Roblox On the very miniscule off chance this game would’ve gotten at least some attention

1 Like

Roblox mainly points towards children. Remember, kids can just click things and see these awful images that are not good for them that is why there is a TOS because Roblox is a Family-Friendly game.

2 Likes

I did some digging and found the part of the rule which answers your question.

Using appropriate content. Inappropriate content is not allowed within Roblox games. Do not create or upload any images, videos, audio files or other content (including animations or scripting), discuss topics or use language that falls in the bulleted list above.
Do not upload or use content or materials that you do not own or have permission from the owner to use. If we are notified that your uploaded content violates another’s intellectual property rights, we will block or remove that content without notice and follow the process set out in Roblox Terms of Use.
Roblox actively monitors game content and text. Some violations are blocked automatically through the use of filters and other detection systems. And we moderate and take other actions regarding content when flagged by our community.

• Any consequences applied to violators are at the sole discretion of Roblox and may range in severity from a warning to account deletion;
  • Violations are dealt with in a manner that reflects the severity of the violation and the threat to the Roblox community.
  • Important additional information on inappropriate content:
    • All text in uploaded images must be clearly visible to Roblox moderators. Images with tiny, unclear, or unreadable text will be blocked from upload.
    • Pills, syringes, or other content representing drug paraphernalia or drug use are not permitted.
    • Alcohol, alcoholic references, drunkenness, smoking cigarettes, cigars, and vaping are not permitted.
    • Distorted audio, including excessively slowing down or speeding up the audio content to make it indiscernible, and audio that is excessively loud including screaming, high-pitched or excessive noises are not permitted.
    • Dating is not permitted on Roblox. This includes content that explicitly or implicitly promotes, encourages, or references dating.
    • “Clickbait” advertisements are not permitted. Advertisements such as “Click this 1000 times”, “Click to pick your Dominus” or ones that offer free Robux, Roblox virtual items, etc. or that otherwise falsely represent the content being advertised and solely exist to encourage a user to click on the ad to inflate ad clicks are not permitted.
4 Likes

Then I might make a more PG version Kind of like Jarhead if anyone’s seen that movie. It would be focused on how boredom and the mental aspect of war is one of the worst parts. If you haven’t already guessed This would probably be a story game

The PTSD part might be fine, but the addiction part is not. If you just remove that you should be good.

3 Likes

Thats a completely different coding language though…C##

and i only need one word…

gamemaker

@Jarix46 Gambling is against Roblox TOS. It is mentioned in the Roblox rules.

This would definitely be against Roblox’s Terms Of Service. Roblox has a lot of kids playing games and Roblox wouldn’t want them to see that…

The others in the thread are correct. That content is not allowed. But there may still be a way to make your idea work.

PTSD: Medical episodes are probably a bad idea as this could be seen as discriminatory. However, nothing says you can’t have characters who are haunted by a dark past, regrets, etc.

Addiction: Any chemical or gambling addiciton is off the table. However, people can be addicted to basically anything. For example, being overly attached to a friend.

For whatever my opinion is worth, I think if you want to tell a story about a haunting past and self-detrimental attachments, you can find a way to do it without breaking the community rules. It might not be as edgy as you had envisioned, but the core message would still be there.

3 Likes

Yeah.
Your post is spot on, just you may want to reconsider the background, just a reminder…

Yup

2 Likes