Would this be a copyright violation?

I’m making a mock version of Google Chrome in ROBLOX and I want to know your thoughts on whether you think that this would cause any issues:

• The game name is Chrome
  • And some of the icons used below: (All are open-source material icons besides for the G icon - from Flaticon)

D4UyQ1yX4AAo4yA

3 Likes

Chromium, which underlies Chrome, is open source. Check the licenses for it and you may need to replace the Google logo, but you’d probably be okay.

13 Likes

My suggestion for a Google logo replacement is the Roblox logo with a similar colour style.

5 Likes

Agreed, do you know anyone who’d perhaps be able to do this?

1 Like

It would be pretty easy :grinning: Just open a photo-editing software, open up the roblox logo that you’ve theoretically saved, and colour in a quarter each the colours blue, yellow, green and red. Hope this helps

You should be fine as long as you’re not profiting off it and making it as more of a meme.

I’d say you should be fine, but it’s probably more original if you make your own mockup logo, maybe like Google Gnome or something random, or even the infamous Gooblox?

Overall though, the UI really looks like the current version of Chrome.
Maybe you should add in the Google Play store, or Amazon with offers on nukes and random stuff. Referencing to a lot of the old Roblox memes such as Nuke The Whales would be quite refreshing.

Isn’t that pretty similar to the Windows logo but just roblox-ified?
If you get what I mean!

I’d avoid using the words “Google” or any of their logos. You can check their Brand Guidelines. But they’re pretty uptight with the usage of their trademarks. Most companies are like that, even if you were to change the name a bit. The fact that the word “Google” itself is under trademark would in itself make “Google Gnome” very copyright infringing.

Even Roblox has Brand Guidelines.

1 Like

I would imagine if you were to call it Googol, that wouldn’t be a copyright infringement or something similar. If it was Googol Gnome for example, I think that would come underneath fair use.

1 Like

We’re calling the browser Comet and we have replaced the G in the search bar with a colorful roblox square logo

@Profess_ional @Xenothekid Hey guys I liked the thought of recolouring however I recently read the official guide to using ROBLOX branding material and in part of it, it says and I quote “DO NOT RECOLOUR” . Here’s a quick screenshot,

Check the full guide here;

2 Likes

That concerns the Roblox brand, not the “O” in “Roblox.” I’m assuming that is what @Profess_ional is referring to, anyway.

There then becomes a problem with sizing as stated within the Brand Guideline on Page 6. It says “The Roblox logo must be no smaller than 23px tall on screen, and .25in (6.35mm) tall for print. Our minimum size ensures our logo is always viewed in a clean, legible way”.

This applies to both the name and Tilt icon or as you’ve called the “O”.

And if you then are able to properly resize it Roblox also have the Brand Colours section on Page 7 which allows the following colours.

Overall the concept or resizing and recolouring the Tilt Icon or the name as whole wouldn’t be permitted based off the resources provided.

That’s odd, because I’ve seen some groups use the Roblox logo in disparate ways. Are you sure this isn’t just applicable to media use of the Roblox logo? I can’t imagine Roblox becoming annoyed over the use of their own logo within Roblox itself, nor have I seen it happen so far.

1 Like

Possibly but now I’ve just looked onto the game page and found at the bottom their copyright notification.

So now this means to be in co-ordination with the copyright law and Roblox’s Copyright Material Policy these developers and or groups may of received written permission from Roblox to use it. Regardless of Roblox being annoyed over it or not it all depends on the copyright law within the U.S.

Having now searched the U.S. copyright database one of Roblox’s Trademarks is the term “Roblox”, one of the design features they have stated is;
“27.03.01 - Geometric figures forming letters, numerals or punctuation”

They also state " Color is not claimed as a feature of the mark. The mark consists of the wording “ROBLOX” in stylized font whereby each letter “O” is represented by a concentric square design and the first letter “O” is angled."

Sources;
http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4806:4na0p.2.1

In conclusion stick to complying with Roblox’s marketing guidelines.

As replied on one of your own posts you do need specific permission regardless of the brand.

1 Like