Would this be against Roblox Terms of Service?

So I am creating a plugin for my team and I noticed some of the things that I wanted to implement would not be possible. If I for example added link support -
when clicking on a text button it would open a link in your browser.
As this plugin would not be published on any of Roblox’s services would it be allowed or is it copyright infringement or a tos violation?

Please inform me if this is not the correct topic to post on, thanks in advance!

I don’t think this is possible.

I’m pretty sure this is against the rules.

ROBLOX can’t trust nobody. if anyone clicks it you could be sending them to a ip logger. etc etc bad websites you know?

Course not as it would be very hard to moderate, that’s why I am implementing it.

Yeah but as mentioned it is not posted on Roblox’s services and is just a download. It will be unlisted on Google Drive.

What I’m saying is that I don’t think script can open the link from the Roblox Studio API.

I am not relying on Roblox’s API only. I will create my own API’s for such tasks.

Is this an internal API? Or is it an external web API?
It mean internal API i guess but It is impossible to create an internal API by yourself.

You are allowed to make, use and privately distribute local plugins for your Studio instance, as long as the people you are distributing to agree to your terms (your team most likely will). You don’t have to upload and publish plugins to use them.

Oh great, could you provide a source for this to make sure there isn’t anything else similar? i wasn’t able to find much information on this.

Plugins always run locally and are only an interface to your studio instance (unless you publish them to the marketplace). You can’t break any rules by owning a plugin you made yourself and only use by yourself. They are only subject to Roblox moderation if you upload them. I don’t have a specific source for these claims because its more of a deduction that you can do it, because you’re not doing anything you can’t do.

Oh, I see. But doesn’t a plugin contain assets and code created by Roblox?

A plugin is just a model you export to a file. The Roblox XML format is free to use and distribute. You just have to make sure you don’t use anyone else’s code or work without a proper license or permission; your own work in your own script exported to a file and shared to your friends isn’t subject to any (Roblox) rules.

2 Likes