Would this be subject to copyright?

Hello! I was one of the old creators of Find the South Park. Recently (about 3 months ago), we got a DMCA takedown.

So now I am wondering if I could create a game NOT using any of the south park names and none of their characters in the show.

We were wondering if we could make custom characters (exact same style) and be all good to develop this game.

(I know we shouldn’t take advice from here, but it’s a good place to start I guess.)

6 Likes

put this in #help-and-feedback:game-design-support

no it would not be subject to copyright

6 Likes

So if I were to use the south park website and create the characters from there would I be alright?

They have a custom character builder that lets you make different characters.

3 Likes

You can’t really copyright an art style (I don’t think so at least) so if you throw out the south park names and references you should be 100% fine.

3 Likes

@Nistrict, I’m not ROBLOX staff, nor a community moderator, but this post has taken my attention on how your game got a DMCA takedown for the names and characters.

Is that why you are getting DMCA’d? From the “custom character builder?”

May I ask for the information you got the “custom character builder?” And can I get a snapshot (prefered) of the message of why your game got DMCA takedown. I can try to help you if we can work from there?

I know vast variety of DMCA, copyright, and more. Not saying I am or am not a lawyer…

2 Likes

The original reason we got taken down was not from the character builder. It was simply using South Park’s names and characters.

We are changing our idea from using those copyrighted assets to using custom-made characters. So just like @Chark_Proto said, I believe it’s just using the art style, which can’t be copyrighted.

So in all honesty, we were DMCA’d for the right reason originally. Here’s a screenshot of the email:

Also the character builder is using this website: South Park Avatar Creator - Create Characters | South Park Studios US

2 Likes

Why because of South Park’s names and characters? Additionaly, Chark_Proto is right.

When I went to the Avatar Creator, it showed me this page:

Ive gotten a virus on my old Mac, and it was horrible. So now I added like 10 extensions (1 made by me), to not let me access viruses. So this could be the reason why.

1 Like

Now I know why:

I dont speak your language, so I dont understand. Mind translating?

It looks like it has viruses. You cannot see anything besides cookies and log in window.

@Nistrict Do you know who made the custom characters website?

It’s the original website made by Paramount

1. Old? If you currently arent the creator, you shouldn’t be involved.
  2. Paramount? Pardon?

@Nistrict Follow up? You havent replied since months.