Would this implementation of fall damage be worthwhile a turn-based shooter?

If you are unaware as to what a turn-based shooter is, it is essencially a strategy game in which you have to aim.

For this project, when the player gets damaged on their turn, I believe it would be appropriate to immediatily end their turn.

I was wondering if a fall damage implementation would be worthwhile this game. After all, with a miscalculated jump, the player could end up losing their turn.
Below, I will send a video of what that would look like:

Thank you for your time.

I personally don’t agree with that. I’d stick to a system like Pocket Tanks, where the player can move a set amount based on a numerical value of their choosing. Plus, Roblox terrain can be a bit finnicky, so players may fall when they didn’t intend do.

I tried doing a 2D implementation of an artillery game but, stylistically, it unfortunetly doesnt work with Roblox due to the 3rd dimension.

Partially, my problem here is that I am yet to settle on what kind of building I want - Between a terrain generator or pre-made maps, which I feel like may play a big role here. Could you elaborate as to what you mean with “finnicky”?

I think the system you presented in Pocket Tanks works wonders mainly because of the aftermentioned 2D implementation. Unless you can provide some examples of games that made it stylistically work in a game in which it is needed to be zoomed out as much and, naturally, depth is more visible, I think I will stick to a 3D implementation of the genre.

1 Like

I’d go for random generation, but instead of Roblox terrain, go for a triangle style to it. I say this because terrain is finnicky.

When players try to jump on near vertical terrain, Roblox acts a bit strange with it. I’ve seen players scale very steep terrain with some camera flicking. Using part terrain should prevent that.

Second #9 shows the player falling slightly from the terrain, which is a cause of concern for me.

1 Like

I am unaware of what that is, I would appreciate examples!

Fortunetly, I think I somewhat stop this. There is no shift-lock in such a game and jumping is custom as you can see on the clip I sent. Nevertheless, I will take it into consideration.

On the topic off the fall damage ragdoll thing, is the only problem you have with it the imprecisions of jumping? Or in a game design prespective where everything works fine, it would be just as good?

No problem

Yeah, that’s the problem I have with it. The only way I can imagine fixing this is to limit the generator from creating steep slopes of any kind.

Wow, that is some REALLY impressive generation. My problem with it though, from how I imagine it is done, is it would not really allow for much destruction.

In the end, this shifted to a building problem, which is quite hilarious in my prespective.

1 Like

I suggest you making the game tap to move with a indication line like the classical roblox one

On an unrelated note, I would recommend making it more obvious how much space is 1 turn. To me, it’s hard to determine how far is 1 turn.

40-60 seconds if the player is afk. They can finish the turn earlier.

That isn’t what I meant. Like, when moving the character it is unclear how much walking is 1 turn like is walking forward 5 studs 1 turn? Stuff like that.

Nah, the player has complete liberty of movement. However, they have to manage their turn in order to aim, shoot, and do other tasks that might be necessary in the match, for example picking up weapon crates.