Xbox controls and keyboard and mouse key mapping

Hello,

I need help on how do you map keyboard and mouse controls to Xbox controls. I have no clue on how to map Keyboard and mouse controls to Xbox controls and if its not possible, can you please let me know, thank you.

What you’re going to do is look through the UserInputService, call the input began function like this UserInputService.InputBegan:Connect(function(input) and that input parameter will be the keys/buttons for XBox. Then you should use Enum.KeyCode.GamePad and then the letter that the XBox button, thumbstick, or whatever you want to call. Just type Enum.KeyCode and you will see a lot of options

But is that how you transfer keyboard and mouse keybinds to Xbox controls?

How do you map keyboard and mouse controls to Xbox controls

Start by looking at ContextActionService. This service provides a very easy way to bind up a bunch of inputs all at once. For example, if you’re making a custom menu handler and need to be able to interpret the following as “scroll left”–left arrow, A, and DPadLeft–you could bind these all to the same action using ContextActionService.

For reproducing mouse movements, you’ll need to look into polling the thumbsticks, which you can do with UserInputService:GetGamepadState().

1 Like

I like that idea.but what i meant is that when you press the A button on your Xbox controller, it will press the key W.

That is functionally what ContextActionService is for.

You bind up the action you want to happen when you press DPadA or W on the keyboard. When that condition is met, it passes an InputObject to anything that’s listening to it, allowing you to take action on that input (e.g. if you have to hold down a button to charge up an attack, ContextActionService supports that.)

So your telling me that i can make it where if you press the button A on your Xbox controller, it will press the key W for me?

No. That’s not how this works.

What you’re doing is setting it up so that if you press “W” on your keyboard OR “A” on the gamepad, they will take the same action. You’re not trying to press “W” on the keyboard through the gamepad. Get that out of your head – that’s not how this works at all.

Think of it like a door with a handicap button. You can either push the handicap button, or you can open the door with your hands. Both result in the same thing happening (the door opens,) but you’re interacting with the door in two different ways.

I strongly urge you to read the first code sample on the ContextActionService:BindAction() page.

Ok, I understand that the ContextServiceAction is a service where you can set up different ways to press a key like holding down a button, but what i meant is that i would need help mapping keyboard and mouse keybinds to Xbox controls like if I press the A button on a controller, it would press the W key.

That is the entire purpose of BindAction. Pulling from the code sample in the BindAction page:

ContextActionService:BindAction("HonkHorn", handleAction, true, Enum.KeyCode.H, Enum.KeyCode.ButtonY)

Notice how it binds both the “H” key on the keyboard, as well as “Y” on the gamepad.

Again – you’re not trying to press a key on the keyboard by pressing a button on the gamepad. That’s not physically possible. You’re telling Roblox that these buttons perform the same function.

Please, read the documentation I link to you. I can only explain so much.

1 Like