Xbox players can no longer chat, resulting in major loss of playercount

Xbox compatibility and support for gamepad input are not the same thing - players on non-Xbox platforms can (and do) use gamepads too.

2 Likes

You need to implement custom bindings for controllers, something that isn’t required, but possible for PCs. There is no reason to do that if not even 1% of your players will be playing on XBox because of a missing key feature in RP.

4 Likes

Xbox has extremely precise parental controls that allows parents to not only disable chat features, but certain parts of it and even which users are allowed to interact with their child through any type of communication, not just text chat.

As far as I know, any games that require an Xbox Live Gold membership should support these parental controls so their child can stay safe online no matter what game they are playing. I’m pretty sure Roblox doesn’t support the extensive Xbox parental controls that include things like only allowing Xbox friends to chat with you, etc.

I’m hopeful that these parental controls are supported in Roblox so that child safety is further improved on the platform. It’ll also allow for chat to be enabled on Xbox without any concerns for violating the parental controls set by the parent account.

10 Likes

Will this be reinabled in the future?

2 Likes

i’m not sure what you mean, the entry point code system works fine, and that uses the xbox keyborad

1 Like

This change honestly is effecting hundreds and hundreds of Roblox games and having minimal to large effects across Roblox. If I am understanding correctly, while I do think that safety is important, I think that it would make more sense for Roblox to temporarily keep a rating for higher audiences rather than just removing chat altogether. (See below reply)

Sort of off topic rant

The amount of revenue game makers (and even Roblox themselves) are losing from some changes is far more than it would seem for some people. Games such as Flee the Facility are almost impossible for players to learn and play without chat. Previously Xbox players were known for not taking warnings or suggestions and not communicating even though these players simply couldn’t see or use the chat. It makes them look bad to other players, creates unneeded toxicity towards them, and it makes the game look bad as well as making the game much less fun for all players. This isn’t really solely about this change, but about the state of Roblox as a whole right now.

A majority of Roblox players are young and don’t understand why it is not a developers fault when they are disconnected and given some obscure error code or their chat isn’t working. Countless games have been bashed for Roblox’s issues and there is no real way for developers to shield themselves from this. Roblox outages and changes have caused numerous games to lose huge amounts of revenue and lose players. Some players have reported losing hundreds of dollars in revenue at the fault of solely and entirely Roblox.

I seriously think that while Roblox was getting more transparent within the last few years, we’ve been losing that transparency very quickly within the past few months alone. Due to countless Roblox changes, bugs, outages, etc which have gone completely unmentioned by Roblox, developers are having to take the blame for them. I’ve seen a lack if incident reports and a lack of staff response on these topics. I’m starting to think that something may be going on inside Roblox right now because some of the issues we’ve been facing are still yet to be even acknowledged by staff. If Roblox keeps this type of stuff up everyone will be taking a huge hit and countless players and devs will leave the platform.

11 Likes

https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/articles/Featured-Game-Guidelines

Game does not have an Xbox-specific version (a separate version of the same game available on other platforms)

So remove chat and basically cut off xbox players from pc and mobile players… ok? What is the point of having xbox players in non-xbox servers then if they can’t communicate???

8 Likes

They didn’t remove chat, it’s a bug. It’s been resolved.

1 Like

What do you mean it’s a bug? An admin literally replied to this thread to say it was intentional.

14 Likes

entry points code system works fine.

2 Likes

If that game is on console and it allows console players to chat (typing text themselves), then based on this bug report that would mean that game is not respecting the return value of CanUserChatAsync (or does not call it at all) and that would mean they are against the TOS.

7 Likes

This is actually mis-information. Text Chat has never been available on Xbox at a platform level (Our Xbox app is over 3 years old). This is due to stringent privacy policy implications that require us to add additional complexity to Text Chat. This change does not impact other platforms.

If you wanted Text Chat to be available on Xbox you had to fork the ChatScripts and then modify them in order for Text Chat to be visible, and work properly. This requires overhead from a developer, and was never intended. While it has been possible previously, in order comply with Xbox standards so that you may continue to ship games on Xbox we needed to prevent Text Chat on Xbox from being possible.

As for your other concerns, they will not be addressed here, as its off-topic.

6 Likes

My apologies. Thank you for correcting me.

2 Likes

It is still possible, though. If you make a custom chat for xbox users will your game be moderated?

1 Like

At that point you would not be respecting the values returned by various chat and filter-related API that you are obliged to use when handling player input, so your game would be against the TOS.

6 Likes

Why not just save your platform by accepting an E10 Rating, its Either stay at E and loose Over half of the Xbox players or accept the E10 Rating and loose About a tiny fraction of Xbox Players (like 1/18) :slight_smile: and Minecraft is E10 and Has lots more players then Roblox…

17 Likes

What if in my game I create something that let XBOX players chat? A chat system separated to the Roblox chat system? I don’t mean that i created it, just I want to know, cause chat is very important for me. Some games that i play require chat, cause some games are co-op, or games have a password door system with chat system. I just played a game called CASTLE in Xbox, and there was a moment that said: Chat the answer.

How I would chat if XBOX players can’t chat?

If you care about rating age. Don’t do it! Cause the age rating is just a recommendation, not a forced rating, some games like “Fortnite” are set as T+, only because it has violence, some young brothers of my friends plays fortnite, when they are 9-10. I hope the staff read my reply

3 Likes

See post above:

Check out how Rocket League or Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes handles this. They have a few preset emotes / texts that players can trigger, rather than a full-blown text chat. It should be fine to do that as long as you don’t actually let players insert text themselves, since the emotes and texts are whitelisted content by you as the developer, not user content.

If you’re talking from the player perspective, then ask the developers of the games you play to do this.

Then those games should turn off Console compatibility or add a way for console players to open them (i.e. textbox UI). This seems to be more of a problem with the game mentioning they are console compatible when they actually have poor compatibility, not a problem that Roblox needs to address.

3 Likes

Please read before posting:

This question has been answered multiple times.

1 Like

Im assuming this is because of the rating, right? Fortnite, Minecraft, Rocket League, and tons more have text chat, so can you clarify thats because of their rating?

6 Likes