You need to use the Knit Game Framework(A template to help get started using Knit)

Very nice framework. But I recommend rewrite it to your needs (Also I recommend remove promise at start and yield thread instead).
Yes, you will need some time to make great structure, but this is indeed worth it.
If you need medium/big project with transferable services, your answer is knit.
If you just make something small I think it’s really overkill (Not apply if you have knit services from past project). Just imagine that you write something like:

require(game:GetService("ServerStorage").Path.Path.Path.Path.ServiceName) 

instead of:

Knit.GetService("ServiceName")
3 Likes

I found that for most people it is very overkill to try to start a Knit project because of the practically infinite setup time it takes if you let it. My solution to this is to work on a new template called C.G.T(Chain Game Template) that includes essential services and controllers that all games require and a general structure that allows you to just jump in and get started on a new project. If people are interested in that they should look forward to that, I’m a bit busy so a general release should be expected in a few weeks to a month from now.

4 Likes

Good, keep us inform. I am interested because I want to know how other games structure their services/controllers

2 Likes

Knit genuinely is one of the best modules I’ve ever seen. Like ROACT LEVEL GOOD. Normally i’d have to create a localscript inside a folder. Then add it to me default.project.json. Then create a remote event.

But knit completely eliminates that and I can do server-client communication within 1 script. Amazing module 10/10

1 Like

Look forward to C.G.T, It might be helpful to you.

I’ve recently created a plugin for setting up Knit!
I created this for my friend although anyone is open to use it :slightly_smiling_face:

https://www.roblox.com/library/9214912278/Knit-Setup
→ I don’t use Knit anymore so don’t expect this to be updated

1 Like

That looks cool and is a really interesting way to go about it. I’ll check it out sometime.

1 Like

Hey, small question but what is the benefit of Roact? I had a look at it myself earlier and didn’t see much benefit but I would love to get some input off someone who uses it.

1 Like
  1. You can version your Ui
  2. State-Management
  3. fewer bugs(If done right)

Hi! Just started using Knit. Is there a ‘best practices’ for what actions to be done in KnitInit() vs KnitStart for controllers / services? In the advanced service example you don’t have any code in KnitStart.

Trust me, you should just watch the videos and get started with planning the project that you want to make with it. There aren’t really any “best practices” just make sure your KnitInit doesn’t yield for an unreasonable amount of time because KnitStart won’t run until all KnitInits have run. Good Luck.

Thanks. ineedtoreachthislimitimposedbyroblox

You’re welcome, ineedtoreachthislimitimposedbyroblox :}

It doesnt change that much, but theres a strong motive why I use knit in any project, and its because VSC you cant create remotes in visual studio code and the roblox IDE is just not that good

1 Like

I don’t know if this is a known thing or not but if it isn’t here is a little tip, since you have to wait till knit started to get a service or a controller you normally would put a variable out of scope and then set it to that service or controller or some other way but, you can just put it inside the table and use it from there here’s an example:

When first starting out with knit I didn’t see this anywhere, I would normally just create a variable outside of the scope and set it to the service or controller.

4 Likes

Appreciate you sharing this, helpful tips as per the name are helpful.

C.G.T a new game template is now out C.G.T

2 Likes

So I was checking the performance of my scripts and I was wondering why knit sometimes starts at 240 because most of the time it starts on 120.

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 2.35.56 PM
Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 2.37.50 PM

I don’t know but if it isn’t affecting functionality you shouldn’t be bothered by it.

What exactly is unreliable and when did he say that?, so far knit has been very reliable for me and many others.

1 Like