Your roblox game servers are being ddosed? I made a solution

Why don’t you make your code “softshutdown” the server instead of just kicking the players? It could teleport each player to a reserved server, before TPing them to another server, and you could display a GUI with information

3 Likes

Good suggestion, but if I were to do that. The person would keep reconnecting back to a server that is not a secured IP because they live near a non-secured IP. But this could actually work if you wanted them to keep reconnecting until a server slot is available. Go ahead and make something like that and share it. That is a good idea for people with smaller player servers

2 Likes

To start off, I’d like to say that I have read your post fully.

In what case scenario is this any useful? I would like to hear you input after you read this whole post. DDoS attacks happen a lot in bigger games. Requiring a hand to create one is just time consuming and doesn’t sound very useful to me. Yes this is a temporary solution, but to a cost where it might end up being more annoying than just enduring the attacks.

Do people who make new games actually get DDoS’ed? I highly doubt so since DDoS’ers really want to annoy the heck out of people, hence their choice on bigger games.
Let’s suppose they do attack smaller games. Kicking new players will kill your game if it is new. I know you’ve heard that millions of times, but it’s true. I would rather my servers get DDoS’ed ending up in players getting kicked than having to kick players myself.

Like mentioned here, it’s also TOS breaking. Imagine if your game gets taken down because of that, you’ll truly get 0 players then.

Please listen to feedback and most importantly don’t get angry at people who are asking questions! Yes there are people who don’t read the post fully, but people are confused. After all, we are people just like you trying to find a solution!

Creaco.

4 Likes

#1 I am not getting “angry” at people. When people reply with something after they do no read what was said. It shows the lack of care they have to the post so they shouldn’t post at all. Hence why I just end up flagging it. And yes as someone who releases new games and know people who release new games. It is a real problem on roblox. Where non of your servers will be alive and your game will just die. People keep stating “This wont work it” because they don’t understand as they don’t usually release games them self and have to deal with ddosers blackmail. People just assume, “I doubt that is actually happening”. They have no idea of the community of people with this issue. I am already done experimenting. DDos-protected servers don’t get shut down by exploiters. Like I said this is a “Temporary” solution. For example: They spent a lot of money on sponsored ads and non of their servers are up because they keep getting ddosed. People just leave low effort replies.

1 Like

On top of that some of the people who were replying where the ddosers themselves as I verified by their discords when they messaged me. I flagged them so their post are gone. They where trying to personally insult me with side mark replies like “Something you would do” or “Someone with a brain” stuff like that

1 Like

I would discourage preventing players from joining a server just because it’s deemed “not secured.” You should also consider whether allowing players to join servers hosted only on those IPs is a good idea.

Here are some issues:

• You will discourage several players from joining your game.
  • Players in regions far from the geographical locations of the hosted servers will experience increased ping since they will be forced to join only those servers and won’t have the option to join servers in their region.
  • Requiring the use of a VPN every time you try to start up a new server on a “secured” IP is not very practical.

Alternatives:

• Instead of kicking players as soon as they join, inform them that the server IP is not on the whitelist and give them the option to teleport to a “secured” server.
  • (Kind of unrelated, but still relevant) Check for unsecure remote events and functions to ensure they don’t get flooded with requests. This is a common problem that can be overlooked.

I like constructive replies like these. Yes, I see what you mean. As I encourage different ideas like these.

It’s not against the rules, because the rule doesn’t allow you to use a VPN for nefarious purposes. Because it says “in order to gain unauthorized access to Roblox, including to a specific feature or account”. It doesn’t say that it’s always against the rules to use a VPN no matter what you are doing.

1 Like

What exactly does this do to prevent DDossing?

Roblox game servers will pick the region you’re in depending on if you’re the first person to join the server. So the VPN would manipulate your region and get you closer to the protected servers that may be out of your area.

1 Like

Mhm, Live in the United Kingdom, no VPN. First to join server, New York.

just wanted to say that, i agree, excellent idea for people with smaller player server

I believe this is useless now as the only non-protected country was UK,

as I mentioned here, ROBLOX recently added protection to British servers meaning your script does not really serve purpose anymore.

1 Like

ddos mostly happening because ppl using toolbox or plugins, the itself “ddos” never exist.

1 Like

You are actually wrong, Any game server can be ddosed. When you are the one who sees them actually using the panels against your game on a discord server screen share you wouldn’t be saying that.

i dont care, i have brains to do a several simplest methods and after that asking on devforum if i don’t understand something

I love how many people keep whining about stuff that’s literally covered by the topic itself. This is extremely janky, and not a good solution, but the only one that exists. The initial hours are critical to long-term game performance and this should allow you to reach that required player count where DDOSing no longer becomes viable thanks to the total server count. I guess this could be automated, but that’s outside of what’s allowed by Roblox.

1 Like

Holy crap I read like all the replies on this post, and some of you need to stop calling this dude’s idea stupid.

First of all I replies thinking that a DDOS attack is caused by a backdoor which is simply wrong.

2nd if anyone has ever read what happens when people get DDOSED you know that it does not ever matters how small your game is, people will literally do it for no reason sometimes just to ruin a dev’s game for no reason (some people are severely mentally ill and act like this), I’ve seen cases where the ddosers just dont stop after months (I am not joking).

Yes this dude’s idea might also destroy player counts to some extent but if any of you have ever seen what a ddoss attack looks like, sometimes it gets so bad where doing a thing like this is the only solution, even worse some things like carnage are already able to take down UDMUX protected servers.

1 Like

Yeah “simple method” interesting. What may that be? POV: your game is being ddossed and every new unsecure server is getting booted. Please sir enlighten me

Another idea would be to make the game have a lobby place where the user can browse avaible servers and connect to them via there, this way they dont have to always create new servers that are protected.

This also works well if you want to restrict access temporarily to new users since even if you make your game kick new users, they are still able to grab the server’s IP and ddoss it, and if you put a place that acts as a lobby and kick them from there, they are unable to grab ips from servers hosting matches.

2 Likes