New Genius Scam w/ Solution?

There’s a new scam going around that looks similar to what DurstAuric has posted on Twitter…

I’ve been thinking and the best possible way of combatting this scam would be to have a feature where roblox emails you whenever you request to buy an item to verify that you meant to buy it and not accidently bought it. This could also be enabled while using trades to counter accidental trade accepts and Trading scams.

Kind Regards,
-HeadlessHorror

P.S
Happy Christmas everyone.

16 Likes

Basically 2fa for all transactions. Sounds pretty good.

7 Likes

They could make it so you have to have two step verification to disable it. This would mean extra protection for clueless them.

2 Likes

Well, Roblox sending an email wouldn’t really be fun a lot of games make money with small purchases <15R$. I think it would be a better solution to have some kind of delay between the UI pop up and purchase button being clickable.

6 Likes

Or have the purchase prompt open for a second or two before the purchase button pops up.

17 Likes

“Enter your password to confirm purchase”

5 Likes

I don’t know why but I find this quite hilarious, I’m pretty sure I would’ve fallen for that.

1 Like

Or a confirm purchase straight after, for all purchases, regardless of the price.

1 Like

Any extra confirmation than what we have now would just be redundant, and that goes for all suggestions so far. It’d just make purchasing more of a hassle. Yeah, it would make your account more secure, but it’d be great if we could get that without the added hassle. A suggestion is for ROBLOX to intelligently enforce any form of secondary confirmation – instead of confirming twice on all purchases, only act when the user’s mouse is in the vicinity of where the buy button will pop up. For instance, grey out the buy button for a few seconds when the user’s mouse is in its vicinity when the prompt appears.

16 Likes

I lost access to my account because an old billing email was hacked and used to bypass 2 factor authentication. I guess it could just as easily be used to un-link my verified address, so maybe it is redundant.

1 Like

That would work in some cases, but that would be as much hassle.

1 Like

The difference is the user is only inconvenienced in either the small chance that the cursor is coincidentally around the buy button, or when delinquents are trying to scam ROBUX out of users – unconditional double confirmations produce an inconvenience for all purchases.

2 Likes

LOL. That looks hilarious.

Also e-mail confirmation sounds like a terrible idea, most players probably use their parents email so they’d have to go to their parents for every micro-transaction. Additionally, what would happen in-game? If I bought a developer product to respawn or something then I deny it from my email? I got what I wanted in-game and I didn’t have to pay. Adding anymore confirmation to purchases means the player will think twice about making purchases, I don’t like that, just give me your money :p. I think a solution like making the button inactive for a few moments is a good solution.

3 Likes

Support. The only other suggestion I have is that they don’t have the buy button on the same place everytime so it moves around.

1 Like

By moves around I mean when you buy one it’s on position a then it moves to position b next purchase (randomly moves)

1 Like

But then what happens when people make games with purchases that give you a replica GUI to the ACTUAL purchase GUI?

2 Likes

I think random movement is not a good idea, you’d want the location of the cancel button to be predictable for example.

Though it would be good if the buttons weren’t set up in such a way that you can spam click through them. Although you have to consider that this may be by design to accommodate for ease of purchase, so it might clash with that just a little bit. Maybe they can do something clever with locking the purchase button for a small amount of time, or just lock the button overall when you click way too fast.

PS: you should move your post to a subcategory of feature requests, i.e. Feature Requests > Client Features.

3 Likes

I’ve updated the subcategory. And I understand but at the end of the day it is just a suggestion.

2 Likes

Of course, just adding a few comments. It’s good that you made a thread about this issue :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I think a the buy button should be greyed out for a few seconds before purchasing.

2 Likes