13+ Game Filtering

Hello, everyone!

I recently thought of the idea of having the 13+ only feature being set manually, instead of being automatic when you have your game under FilteringEnabled (automatic enabling because of experimental mode should stay though.)

The reason I’ve thought of this is some games feature a lot of blood, and I think it could allow developers to have more freedom in that aspect, instead of being slapped with a content deleted or your game being taken down until said gore is reduced.

In general though, I think it would be a good feature to have.

Any thoughts on this?

46 Likes

I think thats a good idea. Devs should be able to put a mature tag on their content so kids <13 can’t access it. This should also go for mature groups like clans who play mature games like games involving guns, as well as the content directly so players can’t take an asset of a gun to use in their own game, or that blood stain decal that clearly won’t pass as ketchup or red paint. This would make parents see Roblox in a better light as they will feel that the age restriction is actually doing something other than being more strict on the chat.

9 Likes

Why would you want to reduce traffic to your game? Even if it’s justified, nobody would force you to use this feature therefor nobody will use it.

4 Likes

Don’t other platforms have this feature already [ obviously, it’d be more or less for different age groups than just 13+. ]

I agree with @BuildIntoGames, restricting access to certain games based on age is silly on Roblox since the site itself if marketed as a kids/teen platform (Not saying 13+ games don’t exist but limiting user choice isn’t a good idea on a platform like this)

1 Like

It’s not silly, it would allow the creator of the game to attract more mature players so mature people can play with more mature people. Ever wanted to play a pvp game with mature teens and adults but can only find kids? You play Halo or Call of Duty or Battlefield and expect mature players but run into tons and tons of screaming kids, yeah thats annoying. Young kids shouldn’t really even be playing those sorts of games in the first place but parents these days are very relaxed about that since they too have grown up playing similar video games at a young age.

Developers should be able to control who can access their games by toggling settings like:

• Enable/Disable 13+ age restriction. Disabled by default.
  • Set an account age limit (1 week / 1 month / custom) without the use of scripts (play button would be disabled) so players can’t make a new alt and jump into the game to continue any mischievous behavior that got their main account banned from playing the game. (I know this one can easily be circumvented by making alts ahead of time, but it will prevent a lot of incidents that do in fact happen.)
  • Set a Group membership requirement for clan owners and developers of social/roleplay games that want to require that community membership in order for players to begin playing their games. This will also allow developers to create a non-group game, and allow anyone in their development studio group to access said game without having to create a private server and add individual names to the list or share the link to it.

Besides, if developers want to limit their game’s activity by incorporating one or more of the above proposed settings, then that should be entirely up to that developer. Roblox should provide the means, but have the settings disabled by default.

18 Likes

Roblox has 13+ restricted gear in the catalog, meaning they’re already limiting user choice as it currently stands.

8 Likes

Nobody uses gear and if they do they are stuck in 2012, lets be honest here…

2 Likes

I mean I’m just saying it as Roblox already does this, I don’t see why they wouldn’t elsewhere.

5 Likes

Bumping this, due to the fact that it’s a great idea. This should be a feature acknowledged due to the fact some roblox games are highly violent, which many children wouldn’t like to see in a game. Or if the game has something else non-intended for the eyes of young children, it shouldn’t be able to be seen by them in the first place. Yes many people fake their birthday date, but there is a large percentage of kids who had their accounts setup by their parents or who didn’t decide to fake their birthday date on the site.

10 Likes

I am sorry but Roblox is a platform targeted to users of all ages. As there is no age-restricting currently, all projects should be kid-friendly. Yes there are games like phantom forces but the game is not overly violent and you can always toggle off the gore.

If you want more mature games, wait until Roblox has age-restricting, scrap the idea, or move to another game engine.

1 Like

Yes, there’s no age restricting currently - that’s why this is a feature request. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

This feature request is over a year old and it is not yet implemented. So we must abide by the current rules Roblox has set for us.

I am saying current for if this post becomes outdated

Based on a past RDC talk by Sorcus, it looks like the (far?) future is that we’ll be able to put content tags on our game and then the platform automatically shows the appropriate games to whoever is viewing the content.

7 Likes

Hopefully we’ll see this either by the end of this year or sometime during next year. Roblox will probably touch more on this during this year’s (virtual) RDC. We can increase our chances if we can get this thread upvoted when Robox does a poll for what developers want to see in RDC this year that is if they do the poll like last year

As someone who makes games meant to be more challenging and aimed at older audiences, this would be extremely useful.

2 Likes

I completely agree!

I mean, there’s age ratings by the ESRB for a reason - why can’t there be that same sorta system for Roblox as well?

Only question though, is would it be set by the developers or would the game’s rating be determined by Roblox Staff?

2 Likes