17+ Experiences Can Add Support for Strong Language

i’m not exactly sure as thats only an example and it could include anything to in experience content.

seems like your edit is correct, sorry for the confusion. happy developing with profanity! :joy:

8 Likes

Can’t believe I’ve lived long enough to see Roblox allow swearing, this is truly revolutional.

10 Likes

we also lived long enough to see a gta 6 trailer, truly a time to be alive

11 Likes

Agreed. It’s very disheartening to have waited so long for OAuth2, only to be unable to make use of it without giving my ID to a 3rd party company who will store my information in one form or another. I hope Roblox reconsiders their stance on this.

7 Likes

lol

36 Likes

It’s particularly frustrating on my end because I’ve been on this account for 13 years, which means I’m very obviously over 17. Unless of course Roblox wants to accuse me of being under 4 when making the account or of not being the original owner.

I understand they can’t special case things too much but at some point it’s just absurd and it’s getting increasingly absurd as they lock things behind age verification.

4 Likes

Places are assets. You can get in trouble for having strong language in script comments, so it seems likely that putting it in actual strings or gui elements will also be problematic until they change more of their moderation policies.

3 Likes

Which words does this allow? Strong language is very vague.

4 Likes

This is a really good change, but I’m wondering if we could be allowed to have directed profanity used by NPCs? I think that some immersive dialogue could benefit from it. Obviously player-to-player interactions would always be considered rude so I can understand that, but sometimes NPCs are meant to be rude for the sake of immersion.

3 Likes

Can we expect to see a more lenient filter in 17+ games at some point in the future? I think this filtering is great for 13+, as it’s still pretty strict for most of the vocabulary, but there’s many words you can’t say in situations that could make sense. For example, ‘a$#’ still filters.

While moderation is also still the same for directive language, I’d hope to see context being more involved for 13+/17+ as well. I jokingly insult my friends all of the time, like who doesn’t call their friend an idiot when they do something stupid, but we both know we don’t mean it - but the moderators will take it at face value to be safe. It’s a reason why 17+ experiences and hangouts still aren’t ready, as I fear statements like these (over voice/text) could be moderated for.

Obviously actual arguments with people which are directive and can be seen through context as hostile should be properly moderated to keep Roblox a civil place.

7 Likes

real

okay now that’s it… cmon please lemme send

2 Likes

You can try out Simple Script Builder, which I’ve restricted from users under the age of 17, and I’ve allowed a strong profanity filter.

2 Likes

PLEASE tell me I can use this for audio later.

I really wanted to make a comedic war game where NPCs curse at the player or each other if you accidentally friendly fire them with a British accent or something.

I want to utilize voice acting to the fullest and actually make players laugh and make characters feel like they’re actually people with a personality instead of just being flat cardboards.

How “rude” could you make NPCs with voice lines without it being rule breaking?

4 Likes

Yeah I’ve already found one, thank you though!

3 Likes

As stated in the original post, this is planned for the future.

Stop nitpicking things to complain about. No one was thinking of it that way. Its just an example. No need to think too much into it.

11 Likes

I’m having second thoughts.

8 Likes

Roblox really knows how to play with my emotions. I am happy about some of the features being created. Although this update is very past due, glad to see it happen nonetheless.

17 Likes

This actually makes sense ALOT of sense. Nobody should be banned for indirectly swearing at something in a game like swearing when your dying.

I’m also glad that this only applies to indirect swearing and 17+ games and cant be used with harassment. This has been a well needed change for age verified users in 17+ games.

5 Likes

Players have fun with things first day. It’ll calm down in the coming days.

Sure, it’l be slightly annoying to know that some people will use it more frequently and more profusely, but hopefully it’ll allow people to just use it, and then not bother with bypasses.

6 Likes

i would like to re-state/expand on a question i had in an earlier announcement, as i feel the question could be molded and extended to this:

could we possibly see an extension of this type of support for smaller subsets of an experience in the future, rather than needing to commit to either pushing this change onto an entire experience or ditching it entirely?
some use cases i could think of could be devoting servers to 17+ users with strong language allowed (in a similar way that some experiences already do with voice chat), or simply being able to apply this 17+ filter to messages both sent and seen by 17+ users, while still filtering it normally to younger/unverified users

6 Likes