2 GB of cookies from devforum

So recently, I’ve noticed how my computer C drive went from 3 GB to just 400 MB so fast, I didn’t know how it happened, but google chrome gave me a notification to clear my cookies. I checked, and roblox.com was the site that had the most cookies, specifically devforum.roblox.com.

Devforum has a massive 1.9 GB cookies with just 3 cookies and I wonder if I should clear them.

7 Likes

I’ve just checked and mine’s at 4.5 GB. Is this normal?

Probably not. 4.5 GB is extremely large for just one subdomain on one website.

Compared to the rest of my site cookies, google.com only has 337 megabytes, which is still alot, but not as gargantuan as compared to devforum

Apparently it just almost doubled in size since I made this thread…what?

Thanks for reporting this, we are investigating.

19 Likes

About 3.9 GB for me and it’s all cache. Interesting? I don’t seem to have this issue associated with “cookies”, is your browser reporting cookies and cache for that number?

Apparently it’s every bit of media I have ever viewed on the forum lol.
This goes back as far as 7/17/2019 with cached videos from old threads I viewed.

2 Likes

Mine too, 3.3 GB for me. That’s the biggest cookie I’ll ever seen one.

Adding onto this, I deleted my cookies a few minutes ago meaning it should’ve started at 0, logged back into the Dev Forum and it started at 704 MB. After browsing for a while, opening quite a few Dev Forum posts, and scrolling a bit on each one, it has now reached 2.7 GB.

I’m pretty sure that number refers to LocalStorage and the cache too, so it’s likely that it’s storing a lot of images and videos, as well as some CSS, HTML and JavaScript in order to allow parts of the website to run offline and speed up your experience when viewing previously viewed content.

2 Likes

Assuming that number reported includes the size of your cache, it looks like almost every resource downloaded from threads I’ve visited has the cache-control header set like this, which is about a year:

From Googling this it sounds like this would make these resources just never expire and build up even though I’m unlikely to return to these threads. I’m not sure if there are other mechanisms handling caching, but this would explain why my cache goes back to 2019. I don’t know if Discourse can control this, but this probably shouldn’t be longer than a month.

This doesn’t explain why somebody here says they built back up 2.7 GB really fast though. Maybe they scrolled WAYWOC?

2 Likes

I’m unsure. Chrome doesn’t say anything about the cookies or what they are, just their size.

For the people saying this is “cookies”, can you double-check if this is actually in “Cache Storage” category?

Open this link in Chrome and you should be able to check:
chrome://settings/cookies/detail?site=devforum.roblox.com

Based on a quick search it looks like this may be a Discourse bug where it causes cache size in Chrome to be misreported: High local storage reported by Chrome - #2 by Falco - support - Discourse Meta

Will investigate a bit more and get back to you if I find out anything else. In the mean-time it should be safe to clear the cache out.

8 Likes

I would like to add that there is multiple entries for the DevForum? Why exactly? My phone is reporting Roblox using 2.8GB (seems to be 1.3GB now) and I’ve only been a member of the DevForum since 9/10/2020 (just to let everyone know that the Web version of Roblox is there as before 9/10/2020 I was under 13). Using Kiwi Browser on Android.

This must be hard to understand how Chrome makes up these numbers as my cache in my settings app shows that my web browser (shown below) is using just over 100MB.

Firefox is reporting much less than what everyone else here has :thinking:

6 Likes

Hmmm, is there multiple entries for it? Is the Firefox cookies page just showing cookies and not cache?

This is the cookies & Site manager tool on firefox. This doesn’t show the cache of a site.

1 Like

I think the main issue seems to be cache and it doesn’t seem to affect Firefox.

How do I find this again? I really want to know as this seems quite strange and interesting.

Go to this link in a chrome browser. chrome://settings/cookies/detail?site=devforum.roblox.com

1 Like