2020 ON-SITE Spring Accelerator Opportunity

Someone asked this but it didn’t get a response, but are we allowed to commission work for the projects we’re working on in the accelerator program?

2 Likes

Yes! You can commission as many people as you would like outside the team that is not onsite.

7 Likes

well like I just said, the pay has historically been more than enough to cover living and travel expenses, people come from literally the farthest corners of the world

4 Likes

I’ll down to apply if you ever get offices anywhere other then california
How about a downtown tokyo office?
PLEASE

6 Likes

What’s the reason for a minimum of 2 developers required? Is that in case one flakes? Why aren’t game developers of one allowed?

5 Likes

I have a question what if your accepted and live in like a different country and have no house or home in America…?

1 Like

You’ll have to rent an apartment out with some other developers.

4 Likes

The 2020 accelerator program looks nice. I would apply if I was 18. I’ll be looking out for this program and be improving my coding skill. Good luck to everyone who applies and hope you guys have a great time, hopefully will be able to make it in a few years.

2 Likes

I am glad that there is an opportunity to join the accelerator program, but I am quite scared about it.

If we are getting paid to “live comfortably” what exactly is this implying? Would it be just as comfortable as if we are at home or would it be comfortably as in we will be in an apartment with just enough equipment to live?

Why do I feel a bad vibe from this? Why exactly are we being employed with just enough to have an apartment in California? Sure we do get to hang out with other developers but wouldn’t it be more beneficial to actually spend a semester specifically on game development or spend a summer on online courses about game development instead? And even if we did go for the sake of credit the credit isn’t even guaranteed as you said in your post. If the premise is to have fun, would the fun be worth the last summer I would have before college, heck would the fun be worth spending time away from my family before I go to college? What exactly would be my benefit to this other than fun and maybe, just maybe credit for a university? I have been to California for a week to go to a competition at Google HQ. It was only 2 days long so I didn’t lose much of my time from it, plus I learned a lot from there despite living conditions being extremely poor and most buildings were run-down and un-maintained. What makes the “ON-SITE Spring Accelerator Opportunity” something that I know would be worth my time and efforts? In all honesty. Keep in mind, you are asking for people who are 18+ to join you. I will be one of them if I were to go, but how would I know that I can benefit from this “Accelerator Opportunity?”

3 Likes

Uhhh, what? This is essentially a paid internship/co-op. Not only does it look good on a resume, it’s a great opportunity to learn how professional developers work, the tools they use, and a great way to meet new people with the same interests.

3 Likes

I’m lost – if you’re so skeptical about the program then no one is forcing you to do it.
However, I would recommend to do so. I go to the accelerators part of the office and there isn’t a single soul that isn’t having a good time.

6 Likes

Those start popping up on the DevForum deeper into the fall. Just be on the lookout for it.

2 Likes

They are looking for fairly complex games. Because of that, one person, working on 12 weeks, won’t exactly get it all done in time. Or if they do, it won’t be the best work.

With two people, one person codes and one person builds. Teams bigger than that though can be even more expansive.

1 Like

Got a friend who wants to team with me. We don’t have a released game yet, just portfolios and references. Have one that is close to being ready though.

Would it be better to just apply now, or would it be better to wait until later to see if we can push the game out by the deadline?

1 Like

You can do both!

If you submit your application now, and want to add information before the deadline, feel free to re-submit the application. We will use the most recent one.

8 Likes

live comfortably implies that you won’t feel like you are struggling to survive out here. You will be able to afford an apartment with others and of course be able to eat.

Your second point just sounds like you are not interested in the idea of the program, so it might not work for you. A lot of people see this as a way to collaborate with others and roblox employees in the same physical space which helps promote growth that you would not get working remotely. It also allows people to not have to worry about their income and they can completely focus on their game development and nothing else which most people wont get as they might have to work other jobs and have school to focus on.

5 Likes

Does this internship require you to have made like a successful game? Or are we able to talk about our independent projects, essentially do they weight the same when applying?

2 Likes

I do not mean to post this with the intent of being offenseful, which I am not trying to be. I want to just give my point of view of how I, and likely many others, see this.

Sure it may look good on my resume, this “Developed ROBLOX games with my friends away from home for two months,” but it sure as heck would not look good for my attendance with the addition that I will be taking an additional semester of High School if I were to go. Internships only last for two days to two weeks, anything more than that you are going overboard where I wouldn’t call it an internship but some sort of unfairness. You might as well call it “Making everyone work on earning ROBLOX money while you earn minimum wage for two months” since your rankings in the program will still be the same after 2 weeks. You can always find someone with the same interests as you within 10-20 miles from you if you are at least within a suburban area.

I’m likely not the only one wanting to ask these questions. If all that is wanted is positive feedback and never questions/criticism then there will be no way to improve or answer the questions when it comes up later. I am very interested in this program, but because I cannot possibly go to it it kind of makes me a bit saddened that this is placed on such a unique and unacceptable date for most of the American students in High School.

That’s good.

If I were not interested I wouldn’t be spending my time asking these questions would I?
I can only apply this to ROBLOX HQ and working this to ROBLOX Employees. This is not considering the fact that some of the people there, along the lines of 50-75% won’t even work at ROBLOX. How can this program effect someone in a positive impact outside of the premise of ROBLOX with the reputation ROBLOX has of being a child’s game? If I were a CEO I won’t take much consideration to the addition to someone’s resume saying that they made a ROBLOX game for 2 months, in fact it may even put a bad look on the resume because I may think they would be addicted.

1 Like

Does each team member need to apply?

1 Like

Yea they do (says in the application)

2 Likes