2020 ON-SITE Spring Accelerator Opportunity

Hello Developers!

Want the opportunity to work on-site at Roblox HQ on the game of your dreams? We’re looking for developer teams to create a new game experience while working alongside our Engineering, Product, and Developer Relations teams. The goal of the program is for Roblox to better understand problems you’re encountering, features you’re missing, and how you’re developing!

Minimum Requirements:

• All participants must be 18+ years old.
  • All teams must consist of AT LEAST 2 Developers.
  • A programmer and builder are required to be on-site.
  • Each team needs a designated team leader.

Not everyone has a team they can call to action, so we’ve put up THIS THREAD for those interested to post their talents, ideas, and needs. If you don’t have a team, or are missing certain skill sets from your existing one, we encourage you start your search here.

The program is set to run February - April / May. Dates will become more specific once we narrow down our application list, as we like to get a good idea of when you will be most available.

Thanks for applying everyone! Applications are now closed.

Be on the look out for 2020 Summer and Fall announcements later this year!

FAQ

Do I need to attend in person?

Yes. You will be required to work full-time at the Roblox HQ in San Mateo, California.

Do I need to be a US citizen in order to participate?

No. If you live outside of the United States, you will need to qualify for a J-1 US exchange visa. If you are accepted into the program, Roblox will assist you with the visa process. The visa requires you to be pursuing further education full-time in a College/University or to have graduated doing so within the last 12 months.

Can I get University credit from this Internship?
Many universities do provide credit for this program, but every school is different! You should consult with your university officials to see what credit you can receive. Roblox is happy to help with any information / documents you need completed, but it is your responsibility to execute on this.

I don’t think I am worthy of this! How good of a Developer do I need to be?
We are looking for developers of all skill sets. Whether you have just made your first game, or have created many, there is no hurt in applying. Even if you don’t make it this time, you’ll be interacting with the Developer Relations team and getting valuable feedback for the next time.

When will I find out about the next steps?

Developer Relations will reach via e-mail to discuss further steps. All applications with an e-mail attached will receive information, whether or not they made it in.

How long is the program?
12 weeks.

Why AND When do I have to be 18?
We can’t legally employ you if you are not 18. You will need to be 18 before the program begins, which will be in February. If your birthday is in February, I would apply and we will see what we can do.

How does housing work?
If you are accepted, we will help you mingle with others who were also accepted. The Bay Area can be expensive, so it is encouraged to roommate with multiple interns during your stay. It is your responsibility to find housing while here.

Do I get paid?
You do! While I can’t say how much it is, I can say it will allow you to pay rent and live comfortably while here. We do not pay for relocation.

How many people will make it into the program?
Our goal for 2020 Spring is around 30 Developers.

What amenities can I look forward to if I am accepted?
Apart from spending 3 months with a ton of Roblox Developers, you can also expect free lunch everyday, a fully-stocked snack room, free gym, and more!

155 Likes

I’d take a semester off from College just to participate. Would be a dream.

19 Likes

I’d love to apply, but being Irish (over the age of 18 obv) has its limits. Its more expensive to travel to the US than thought of.
I’d love to do it, I have a team just the prices of travel are unfortunately to much. Maybe next year!

Best of luck to everyone that applies and hope you all enjoy.

16 Likes

I would apply, but I still don’t have much confidence in my craft to be able to move to this level. I’m also not sure if I can apply now since I’m 17, but I’d be 18 when the Accelerator sessions start (so long as it’s after late-mid-February).

From what I hear though, the Accelerator (and Incubator) programs are a valuable experience all-around and worth attending. I’ll think about a slot in the future. :confounded:

16 Likes

You should apply anyway! There is no hurt in trying, and we are looking for developers of all skill ranges.

12 Likes

That’s my case too, yet it’s a requirement to be 18+

8 Likes

I’ve heard great things out of this program, anybody eligible to apply definitely should!!!
(i got another year to wait but seriously if anything just do it for the fabulous food)

12 Likes

Are permanent residents clear to apply? If yes, do we need something extra to submit?

9 Likes

Absolutely! We had 2 Bay Area Natives in our 2019 Summer class and they saved quite a bit on Rent :wink:

12 Likes

Awesome! I’ll be definitively applying then! Thank you for the quick response c:

10 Likes

I just LOVE seeing opportunities like this. This is why I choose to develop at Roblox, because they have opportunities like this. Also glad to see Roblox reaching out to developers to see what features THEY need. Hopefully many good features will be on the way, here’s to 2019-2020

5 Likes

Will there ever be a Remote Accelerator / Incubator opportunity?

It’s much harder for someone outside of the US to have the actual opportunity to apply as if you’ve been out of College / University for more than a year, you can’t get the visa required and you can only really apply for the summer opportunity because we have classes from mid January to early May / late July.

8 Likes

My team will definitely be applying. We may not be the best devs out there but we’d like the chance to show off what we can do.

5 Likes

Awww, this is such a huge opportunity but sadly am not 18 and i will turn 18 in the upcoming 1 year, hopefully i will apply then!!:hugs::innocent:

3 Likes

Are there any hopes for 2020 summer internship applications opening soon within the near future?

2 Likes

Pretty much the entire point is that it’s onsite, so they can guide you personally through development - it’s sad for me as well as a British national, but this is a great thing to do immediately post-grad.

7 Likes

How long does it take before you know whether or not you were accepted?

3 Likes

We’ll be contacting our first wave within 2 weeks of the application closing. We would like to have a solid list of candidates by the end of September/Beginning of October. With that being said, anything could change.

4 Likes

Will there by chance be solo project accelerator for spring 2020? I really want to get private work done that way to kick start groundwork for making it a team project for an incubator program.

1 Like